Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

Wow. I am also very interested in finding out if this works long term or not. And if it does work, the next thing to investigate would be how to knit, crochet, or sew a custom rooster sock.

Just put a longer, tighter sock on my roo... twenty minutes later and he'd crowed 4 times...
What am I doing wrong???.....I've almost come to the conclusion that nothing will cure him

Wish I had read this last week. I had 2 bantams, and one was a roo. I was beginning to think that maybe he was another she, because he hadn't tried to crow yet. We live in town and they don't allow chickens, period, so I knew that if he tried to crow it would blow our cover. Last week, while I was cleaning the rabbit cages he let lose, loud enough that it brought my son to the back door asking if that was the chicken. I hated to, but as I put the two chickens into their coop later that night, I had to take him aside. After a long talk about how much we really liked him, and what a good chicken he'd been, I had to quickly dispatch him. Dolly clucked for him until dark. The next morning, when I let her out, I was dreading facing her. She and the roo had been inseparable, I anticipated a day of Dolly looking around the yard for him. She marched out of the coop without a care in the world. When I asked her if she missed Babe, she looked at me like, "Babe who?" I think I should have named her Dory.

So I tried the sock idea last night on my two cockerels. I was laying awake around dawn listening for them and never heard a thing. Heard the songbirds and hens start up, but not the rooster.

I went out to watch them eat this morning and they seemed to eat just fine except that both of them would give a bit of a neck/head twitch after swallowing. I'm sure the socks aren't too tight, as I was pretty paranoid about that, so I'm wondering if this is just an adjustment issue. They aren't far enough down to impact the crop, I don't think. I'm also wondering about molting? I'm assuming they would have to come off during that period. My young blue orpington has one on, but I'm pretty positive he's nowhere near crowing yet. I think they start around 20 weeks, and they are all 10-11 weeks right now, I believe. Also, he's still bringing in his plummage so I'm concerned about how that will affect him. I think I'll take it off tonight and listen for crowing again tomorrow morning (I'm pretty sure it's the EE cockerel I'm hearing). I'll only need one roo anyway, so will probably get rid of my orpington guy.

Anyway, I could totally see making a special sock, maybe with some velcro so that you don't have to cut it off or ruffle feathers getting it off over the head.

Quote:
Pictures please. If this truly works, it would be great for urban dwellers such as myself. Hens have saddles, roosters have neck braces. How cool would that be? The braces could come in different sizes or are adjustable. There would definitely be a market for them.

Pictures please. If this truly works, it would be great for urban dwellers such as myself. Hens have saddles, roosters have neck braces. How cool would that be? The braces could come in different sizes or are adjustable. There would definitely be a market for them.

I was thinking that such a thing could possibly be called Rooster Mufflers. A little play on the idea of a scarf for a rooster, and, well.... it would actually muffle the roo! ;)

And I agree, pictures would be awesome. I would LOVE to put one on my roo, but I've only the one and I wouldn't want to do it wrong and harm him.

Have to post an update. I went out to check on my boys and looks like my Blue Orp roo had swallowed a loose thread from the sock. I was able to pull it out just fine and immediately removed the sock from around his neck. The other roo looked fine so I'll wait to take it off until he roosts for the night. I may try this again with a more safe, secure material, but these socks didn't work out, at least, they didn't work out safely, in my opinion. If they unravel like that, there's no telling what kind of problems might arise.

I tried again, this time with a home-made "rooster muffler"...a velcro collar. It worked when I finally got it tight enough (I'm a bit cautious)...but I didn't expect it to go so tight, so there wasn't enough velcro holding it on, and it has now loosened it again...I'll try again soon

Back
Top Bottom