Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

I tried again, this time with a home-made "rooster muffler"...a velcro collar. It worked when I finally got it tight enough (I'm a bit cautious)...but I didn't expect it to go so tight, so there wasn't enough velcro holding it on, and it has now loosened it again...I'll try again soon

Could you post a picture for your "rooster muffler" & secured to your Rooster. If this works, you'll make a lot happy - being able to keep a rooster (they are prettier then hens) where prohibited.

I'd like to see the velcro collar, as well. I also heard that someone used a zip tie I think, just tightening it gradually, but they were still able to fit a finger between the tie and the neck. (I'd hate to choke my rooster to death!

I'll try to find the thread.........

Sarita

Finished the muffler, so I thought I would take some pics now...

He was annoyed for a bit....

But he soon forgot about it....

And it wasn't before you wouldn't have known he was wearing it.
I guess we'll find out how effective it is tomorrow morning...

Finished the muffler, so I thought I would take some pics now...

He was annoyed for a bit....

But he soon forgot about it....

And it wasn't before you wouldn't have known he was wearing it.
I guess we'll find out how effective it is tomorrow morning...
Your "muffler" blends in with Roos color, he is HANDSOME! Love Roos, they're so much better looking then the Hens but they do crow. Are you securing the "muffler" on it's neck, above the crop? Read the one about using a "zip - tie" which would concern me, "what if" it somehow tightened. Let us know if your "muffler" works...

Me too, and I'm wondering how the birds behave when eating. My roo would do a neck twitch when swallowing and the sock wasn't as tight as a velcro tie would probably be. Yeah, I was concerned about them being able to get food down, but I imagine if they can still breathe, then they can still swallow?

I have nothing on my roo for now. I'm crating him in the garage until about 8:30 and then letting him out. Hoping to fly under the radar here, but if this collar works then I won't have to bring him in at night. :) He crows a couple times in the morning and then not at all the rest of the day. Crossing my fingers that he stays so quiet.......

Sarita

I hope this works so that we might be able to keep our cockerel! You have a handsome rooster!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom