Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

If your neighbors are bothered by crowing, you may not have many options. A collar can muffle the crow a bit, but it doesn't actually stop him. Likewise, you can lock him up in an insulated coop until 9am, but he will crow from time to time or when there's something that's "off" like a strange sound, predator, visitor, etc. The success of a collar will also depend on the individual roo. My current Orpington is so much quieter & less frequent than my Easter Egger. If roosters are not welcome in your town, then you really must think about how much you're willing to risk to keep him. Your neighbors will know a rooster is living there, but you can make it less of an issue for them. Our neighbors are awesome & very supportive of our little flock and our daughter's 4H projects. Not everyone has easy-going neighbors. Talking with them before there's an issue is a must.

Trying this now! Hope it works. The home owners association is on me about my rooster. :( I'm just scared I'm gonna do it wrong and choke him.
1f414.png

We gave up on the collars. When they are tight enough to muffle crows, the birds are miserable. Our big mouth that could not shut up is now in the freezer. The rest don't crow non stop so they stay.

It's just temporary for 3 days till I can get him moved to my friends house on a farm til my lease is up. Or else I'd just buy the "no crow collar"

It wasn't due to a neighbor, she came over asking why he wasn't crowing. She liked hearing him. It was for me. He crowed from 5 am past 10pm, non stop. He was driving me batty.

My neighbors called the HOA and the county on me I don't mind his crowing I'm just tired of getting threatening letters. He's been crowing non stop all day today. Now that I made him a collar out of a sock he's quiet. I'm almost afraid to go look if hate for him to kill himself with it by trying to take it off.

Mine wore the collar for about 5 weeks. His crows were quiet & not frequent. (Maybe 3 times in the am then quiet rest of day.) I think he grew b/c one day the collar looked too tight, so I took it off. There were some broken feathers, so I decided to leave it off for at least a week

This past week without the collar, he's been not only louder, but also more frequent. He crows for about 2 min straight in the am. (not just 2-3 times per day, but maybe 15-25 crows in a row!) He also crows in the afternoon when the girls creep too close to the house. I honestly think he's tattling on them. I normally send the kids out with water guns to keep the chickens in the far back of the yard. He crows to announce whenever he sees a family member or neighbor outside.

I'll be putting the collar back on. Mine goes crazy in the beginning, (Runs backwards for a couple min.) so I need to make sure he's clear of drops, walls, fences, etc.

I tried this just now in an attempt to quiet my rooster and the first thing he did after shaking his head about 5 times was to crow nice and loud... oh well. Guess I will keep looking for a good home for him.

Back
Top Bottom