1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sound proof rooster box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunkistjunebug, Feb 22, 2011.

1. sunkistjunebug

sunkistjunebug New Egg

Nov 27, 2010
    Hi All,

So, after tiring of waking up to my regular as clock work 5am crowing rooster, I decided to make him a sound proof (or at least sound dampening) box. I wrapped formaldehyde free fiberglass around a box, and then covered that with another box. I made a little perch that I could put inside of it. Then I simply put the rooster on the perch, and the box over him. I prop up a corner with a marker to let a little air in. It works great.

But, now I'm reading that ammonia buildup from poo can trash a chicken's lungs. I was thinking about buying a little fan that I could point at the corner of the box that's propped up, to circulate the air around my rooster.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I ADORE my little guy and don't want to harm him.

FYI, my rooster is having to stay inside right now because he was a December baby. I've tried just cooping him up in closets at night, but my house transmits sound VERY well--so I need something better. Plus, he's a Serama, and my understanding is that he'll need to be brought in on nights below about 40F degrees, anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by