Soup is loud, and just wants the hens to love him back.....

JnK1

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2015
Soup has become far too loud.

Unfortunately he's reached the age where he spends every waking moment trying to mount Roast and Casserole, but they aren't interested at all. In fact they run to, and clamber onto K at any opportunity just to get away from his advances. This has resulted in him crowing incessantly from 7am through to 6pm, which isn't going to work in the cul-de-sac where we live.
Alas, we've taken the difficult decision to find him a new home.....

We hatched him from an egg, and have watched him grow into a very handsome rooster over the last 4 1/2 months.....

It's going to be heartbreaking to lose him.

On the plus side though he's only going 10 minutes down the road to hopefully live out the rest of his days as an attraction at Longleat Safari Park. We can still visit him whenever we want, and make sure he's being treated right (probably sneak some mealworms and watermelon to him as well).

Soup is really cute. I love his crest. That second photo of him looks like he is wearing a tiny blonde toupee.

It's nice he will only be 10 minutes away. I wish I lived that close to Longleat. I was there once on holiday, and I will never forget it. I have photos of the monkeys stealing the washer fluid nozzle from our rental car.

Soup is a handsome guy! I'm glad you were able to find him a good home.

Many tears were shed, but Soup is now spending his first night in his new abode. We'll both miss him, as will Roast and Casserole.

Really happy to have found such a good place for him though, as we've heard terrible things about roosters being promised good homes, only to be used as bait or fed to other animals.

Not our Soup!

He'll be part of a upcoming 'attraction' at Longleat in the new year, and we can go and see him whenever we want once he's out of his 30 day quarantine period. Hopefully we'll also be able to get pictures of him in his new surroundings, and with his new flock.....

...and now it all seems eerily quiet.

Soup is in quarantine for 30 days but we'll be going to see him as soon as he's out and able to entertain visitors. We'll say hello, hope he hasn't forgotten us, and take some pictures to compare how much his crazy hair has developed in a month.

Thank you @scratch'n'peck and @NorthFLChick for your kind comments as well, they are greatly appreciated.

...and now it all seems eerily quiet.

Soup is in quarantine for 30 days but we'll be going to see him as soon as he's out and able to entertain visitors. We'll say hello, hope he hasn't forgotten us, and take some pictures to compare how much his crazy hair has developed in a month.

Thank you @scratch'n'peck and @NorthFLChick for your kind comments as well, they are greatly appreciated.

Once you see him enjoying his new quarters, you'll be glad he's happy and cared for. Giving up a beloved pet, no matter what kind of critter, is hard. I have to give you an atta' boy for doing what was best for Soup.
Yes please on the update and new photos when you can get them!
thumbsup.gif

Once you see him enjoying his new quarters, you'll be glad he's happy and cared for. Giving up a beloved pet, no matter what kind of critter, is hard. I have to give you an atta' boy for doing what was best for Soup.
Yes please on the update and new photos when you can get them!
thumbsup.gif

We knew it was for the best.

Just have to make sure that Casserole and Roast don't get bullied by the 'Sulmtaler collective' now that Soup isn't around to protect them and keep everyone in line. It was a lovely sunny day though for their last jaunt around our modest garden and they were able to have a dust bath for the first time in ages, as well as many hugs with myself and J.

I got loads more pics, but haven't had the time to go through them all yet. I think I got some good ones.....

How big is your flock @NorthFLChick , and what breed(s) of chicken do you keep?

You have some beautiful birds!

My mixed flock consists of:
3 Red sex links
3 Barred Plymouth Rocks
2 Speckled Sussex
1 Easter Egger
1 Rhode Island Red

I've had a Black Australorps and a Polish (roo) in the past. I really like the mix of girls I have now and their personalities. Plus they all get along which makes things nice for all of us!

Time to eat dinner but when you do pull some photos together, I'd love to see them!

Back
Top Bottom