Sour crop again ☹️

moserls

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2018
My silkie Lola has sour crop. She had an impaction a few months ago but it cleared pretty easily and she’s been great. I don’t see the chickens every day (they actually belong to my son and DIL) but was in charge of them this past weekend. When I picked Lola up on Friday (5 days ago) she had a significantly distended crop. It was like a water balloon. Her whole breast was swollen. I isolated her and started monistat. I’ve been feeding her a couple of teaspoons of scrambled eggs twice a day, giving water with probiotics, and giving .5 ml monistat twice a day. She weighs around 4 lbs. The swelling has gone from more than tennis ball size to closer to golf ball size but has been that way for two days now. She’s really hungry and drinking (although not quite enough). She doesn’t act sick but was broody when all of this started and spends the day nesting. I’m concerned that it’s now day five. How long should it take to clear this yeast infection? What else should I be doing? Oh, and she’s shivering now. It is colder here now, but still in the ‘50s.

My silkie Lola has sour crop. She had an impaction a few months ago but it cleared pretty easily and she’s been great. I don’t see the chickens every day (they actually belong to my son and DIL) but was in charge of them this past weekend. When I picked Lola up on Friday (5 days ago) she had a significantly distended crop. It was like a water balloon. Her whole breast was swollen. I isolated her and started monistat. I’ve been feeding her a couple of teaspoons of scrambled eggs twice a day, giving water with probiotics, and giving .5 ml monistat twice a day. She weighs around 4 lbs. The swelling has gone from more than tennis ball size to closer to golf ball size but has been that way for two days now. She’s really hungry and drinking (although not quite enough). She doesn’t act sick but was broody when all of this started and spends the day nesting. I’m concerned that it’s now day five. How long should it take to clear this yeast infection? What else should I be doing? Oh, and she’s shivering now. It is colder here now, but still in the ‘50s.
Try to get something to keep her warm at at least night. One person suggested heating a brick and wrapping it in foil as a heat source. It wouldn't be as important if she wasn't alone, but she doesn't have any other chickens to help keep her warm.

One thing that has helped with impacted crops with me, is vegetable oil. It loosens up the food and allows makes it easier to massage down the crop.

Back
Top Bottom