Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
One of my older hens has a sour crop. I've gone through this once before a few years ago, so I know I'm supposed to give yogurt with live cultures. We don't have any, so I gave her some powdered acidophilus in some cream with a syringe. I did a search on here and found this link http://www.1976design.com/blog/archive/2004/04/16/sour-crop/ and followed the steps for massaging her crop. I gently turned her upside down and massaged, and all the yuck stuff came gurgling out. She was very good through it all. Right now she's standing, sickly like, on a pile of hay that I put down for her.

Is it ok to keep using the acidophilus in cream or should I try running downtown for some live culture yogurt? That link said they used olive oil as well. Should I use that, or is it just fine without?

Last edited:
Apple cider vinegar - preferably Doc Bragg's (with the "mother"). Do a search here for it and dosage.

Thanks! I will use that.

I went out a little while ago to give her some more acidophilus in cream and she had improved quite a bit. She had followed the rest of the girls into the cow barn, and when I picked her up, she did NOT make any burping/gurgling noises. And she clamped her beak shut when I tried the syringe, so I just gave her the bowl and she drank it right up.

I'll keep giving it to her, and if necessary empty her crop. And I'll give ACV.

Live culture yogurt. Vineagar does not replace digestive bacteria. I often mix the yogurt (plain, by the way) with a little vegetable baby food like pea, bean or carrot for a little fiber.

I also used probiotic capsules mixed with warm water for my sick girl and worked just fine. dropped it onto her beak and massaged her crop every morning. She wouldn't eat the yogurt so the capsules were my only option anyway. Just watch the sugar content of the cream, yeast loves sugar!

I wouldn't give olive oil with sour crop, only impacted. I read that olive oil slows down digestion and you are trying to get all that sour food to pass though quickly.

Yes to the acv water, kills all that bad stuff growing in her crop.

Also wanted to add that on day three I mixed the probiotic capsules into some layer feed that I mashed with warm water, like an oatmeal. she loved it!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Thought I'd update you all with the news...

Duchess has made a full recovery and has no more problems!!
woot.gif
Very encouraging since the last girl I had with sour crop died.

Thank you all for your advice!!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom