Sour crop and treatment?

I don't know if she's eating, she was sitting on the roost since morning today i think but i've put her on the ground so she could walk. Its rainy and wet today so even if she'd poo, i probably wouldn't find it. There are cremes with miconazole in Poland. I'll read about it and maybe buy one. Won't the zip-tie hurt her leg? It's important to mark her so grandpa will know which one to isolate.
One of the articles says that the first thing i should do is make her vomit. Should i do it before night?

"First thing you need to do is get this gunk out of her crop. This stuff is going to become toxic very quick like and since chickens can't vomit, you will need to do it for them. If left untreated, this gunk can poison her. So take her outside for this next procedure. Hold her like a football in one arm, beak facing out. With your other hand support her at the Crop. Stand yourself with feet apart and lean yourself and the bird forward. You are going to want to lean her far down, beak facing the ground, tail up. Gently squeeze and massage the Crop. The MOMENT the fluid starts to come up out and out of the beak, hold her for no more than 2 seconds in this position and then stand her and yourself back up. Any longer and you can aspirate her. Give her a few moments to catch her breath and do it again. REMEMBER....stick to 2 seconds only in this downward position. Do this until you can't get anymore out. You will never get it all out of the Crop, but do your best so she can heal faster and feel better as well."
The zip tie should be fine if you leave it fairly loose, but not so loose it will slide up her leg.

Right. 2 different perspectives in the articles. Unless you are very confident in what you are doing, then I would not vomit her - you risk aspiration. I've never had to vomit a hen that had a crop issue but some people do that. It may make it better, I couldn't say.

If possible, I would cage or kennel her so you can monitor what her poop looks like and that will be easier for Grandpa to tend to her as well.

Do make water available for her.

The zip tie should be fine if you leave it fairly loose, but not so loose it will slide up her leg.

Right. 2 different perspectives in the articles. Unless you are very confident in what you are doing, then I would not vomit her - you risk aspiration. I've never had to vomit a hen that had a crop issue but some people do that. It may make it better, I couldn't say.

If possible, I would cage or kennel her so you can monitor what her poop looks like and that will be easier for Grandpa to tend to her as well.

I'll mark her and she'll sleep in the coop but in the morning grandpa will put her in a empty rabbit hutch. So as she doesn't drink water at night, she'll get plain water in the morning and a bit of food before taking her to the coop. Should i make her vomit when the crop doesn't empty itself?

I'll mark her and she'll sleep in the coop but in the morning grandpa will put her in a empty rabbit hutch. So as she doesn't drink water at night, she'll get plain water in the morning and a bit of food before taking her to the coop. Should i make her vomit when the crop doesn't empty itself?
Likely will not empty until you start treating the crop issue.
Read my post about vomiting...it's totally up to you - if you feel confident in doing that, then so be it.

Likely will not empty until you start treating the crop issue.
Read my post about vomiting...it's totally up to you - if you feel confident in doing that, then so be it.
So the only way to treat it is either to vomit or to give her this cream?

in one gram of cream It contains: 0.64mg of betamethasone dipropionate; 10mg crotrimazole; 1mg of gentamicin (in form of gentamicin sulfate); liquid paraffin; petrollum jelly. Will it do the job? She's got a big, water-baloon like crop now. I'm thinking about vomiting her :/ or should i wait to see if her crop has emptied in the evening and if not then vomit her?

Back
Top Bottom