Sour crop and vent gleet

autumnmoss913

Hatching
Oct 7, 2020
I have 23 chickens, about 7 of them have some form of sour crop or vent gleet. I have treated these hens twice with Monistat which didn't seem to do anything. They have a squishy crop at night and poopy butts. Anyone have this issue in such great numbers? I am not comfortable making them manually vomit, I feel like aspirating would be a terrible way to go and prefer to cull humanely if the need arises. My chickens get an electrolyte/probiotic mix free choice in their water once a week and have access to chicken grit as well as oyster shell crumbles and get fresh clean water in multiple Waters every day. What is causing this. How do I help them heal?? My poor girls.

Very often an underlying health issue can slow down the crop so that it won't empty properly. The lingering food then ferments in the crop or/and the intestines and causes yeasts to grow. Sometimes diet too high in carbs (bread, rice, scratch grain) will set off the yeasts due to high sugars in the digestive tract.

Other causes include impaction due to poor access to grit, overgrazing on long stemmed grasses, and avian viruses causing tumors in the system, slowing it down.

Some of those causes can be mitigated, others, not. But you can treat multiple chickens with sour crop one of two ways. The first is acidified copper sulfate in the water. The second is Medistatin sprinkled over the food. Both can be found online.

By the way, I suggest you limit the electrolytes to only very hot days or emergencies where it's used to treat for shock. Prolonged use cause buildup of salts in the tissues, and this can cause health issues over a period of time.

hi there,

i have a seven year old Polish Bantam struggling with an impacted/sour crop. I've been treating probiotic yogurt, bread crumbs dipped in olive oil and apple cider vinegar/water administered with a dopper. Each time I massage her crop or administer the dropper Bronte struggles to breathe afterwards. I am not massaging her upside down or trying to empty her crop. I am unsure what to do, because any of the remedies I administer create great difficulty in her breathing. Any suggestions? I've read nearly every forum post here on sour and impacted crops. thank you in advance.

hi there,

i have a seven year old Polish Bantam struggling with an impacted/sour crop. I've been treating probiotic yogurt, bread crumbs dipped in olive oil and apple cider vinegar/water administered with a dopper. Each time I massage her crop or administer the dropper Bronte struggles to breathe afterwards. I am not massaging her upside down or trying to empty her crop. I am unsure what to do, because any of the remedies I administer create great difficulty in her breathing. Any suggestions? I've read nearly every forum post here on sour and impacted crops. thank you in advance.
This might help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ Or go to the title page of the Emergencies forum and click on "post thread" and start your own thread with for more help.

This might help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ Or go to the title page of the Emergencies forum and click on "post thread" and start your own thread with for more help.
Thank you, yes I'd already read that post and it was helpful, but didn't address the issue of a chook having difficulty breathing when eating and administering the suggested remedies. Thanks for your quick response -- I posted a new post as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom