Sour Crop Aspirated - What do I do?

TheJacksonArk

Hatching
Sep 12, 2021
Hi everyone,
My 4-5yr old Bantam hen, Cricket, has been poorly for a couple of weeks.
She'd be lethargic and not interested in food, then a couple of hours later be back to normal.
I went out to feed her flock yesterday, and she was barely moving, and kept coughing/sneezing.
I put her straight into isolation, thinking it was fowl pox. Gave her some oats soaked in yogurt. Put antibiotics in her water. Then, I did some research and realised she had sour crop.

(Here are her symptoms):
Wheezing, rattling. Constantly unable to breathe. Rotten smell coming from her mouth. Squishy crop, I could feel the gas bubbles. Lethargic/sleepy, not moving much, no interest in food or water. Super light, obviously lost a lot of weight.

I spent an hour massaging her crop, and managed to break up some lumps I felt. Then, she started choking (I think her crop was so full, it was getting into her oesophagus) so I held her upside down and made her vomit. I got quite a bit of fluid out, and her breathing seemed better, but still rattling. I then attempted to syringe feed her some of the antibiotic water. I left her for an hour, came back and her breathing was worse. Her poo was almost completely clear, with some streaks of brown.

I got her to vomit again, and her breathing improved. Left her be overnight, no food, but left the water in with her. She lived, and I think her crop went down a bit. I gave her some more water, but I think it went wrong and now it sounds like she got some in her lungs. I'm terrified she's gotten Pneumonia, or is aspirating. And her sour crop still hasn't emptied, so she's not drinking on her own and I still can't give her any food. At least now, her poo is a little more solid so I think she's getting some nutrition from the stuff in her crop.

What do I do? Is it kinder to put her out of her misery, or do I continue giving her water in an attempt to clear the blockage? Am I doing something wrong? I know my technique for syringe feeding the water isn't perfect, but at least some of it is getting into her crop. At this point, I'm considering surgery, but I don't have the tools and vets are too expensive.

Please be kind. Any and all help is appreciated.

a mix of
lemon juice
cayenne powder
ginger powder
cinnamon powder
is good for sour crop

her trachea is at the back of her tongue
so i like to keep their heads level and syringe little bits at a time at the front of their beaks totalling 3 cc

massage is good just be careful to be very gentle and not massage if they have alit of liquid in their crop as this can come up and cause aspiration

electrolytes of oxygen diluted in water are also very good for keepibg her oxygenate and fighting off b addteria,fungus,viruses etc
hampl animal remedies has it..

oregano oil for infection is good also very diluted at 1 to 3 drops per gallon

probiotics and electrolytes for keeping healthy and rebalancing flora

prayers a love be with you and your sweetie

* dont massage if crop is full of liquid as it can cause aspiration or be very careful gentle and slow working in a downward motion if you do.. doughy crop is a bit safer to massage as far as i know because it is less like to move up as easily.

sorry for all the typos.. typing on a small screen.

nutridrench can also help get her nutrients if she isnt eating

diluted manuka honey keeps her energy and immune function up

i freeze some coconut oil and break it up into little pieces i she will peck at it.. to get oil into her and get things moving especially if you suspect impaction

when she can eat.. start her on boiled egg all mashed up that you can add nutridrench and or oil bits to.

T
a mix of
lemon juice
cayenne powder
ginger powder
cinnamon powder
is good for sour crop

her trachea is at the back of her tongue
so i like to keep their heads level and syringe little bits at a time at the front of their beaks totalling 3 cc

massage is good just be careful to be very gentle and not massage if they have alit of liquid in their crop as this can come up and cause aspiration

electrolytes of oxygen diluted in water are also very good for keepibg her oxygenate and fighting off b addteria,fungus,viruses etc
hampl animal remedies has it..

oregano oil for infection is good also very diluted at 1 to 3 drops per gallon

probiotics and electrolytes for keeping healthy and rebalancing flora

prayers a love be with you and your sweetie
Thank you so much for this. Next time I have a sour crop chicken, this will be one of the first things I'll try. Apologies for not answering sooner, my notifications never came through.

* dont massage if crop is full of liquid as it can cause aspiration or be very careful gentle and slow working in a downward motion if you do.. doughy crop is a bit safer to massage as far as i know because it is less like to move up as easily.

sorry for all the typos.. typing on a small screen.
I really really appreciate all the tips you've given me. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom