Sour crop but what else? Lice?

The fluid came from the abdominal cavity, so no, vitamins would not affect the color.
Dark fluid like that could be liver disease and/or reproductive. The only way to know is if you lose her and send the body for necropsy or do your own.

See how she does. Draining the fluid may have been enough to help her feel more comfortable and her crop symptoms may improve since some relief was given.

The poor dear is not out of the woods yet and do know, that even if she gets better, this is very likely going to be a reoccurring issue until she just can't continue on.
Any idea how often I should try to drain her?

Any idea how often I should try to drain her?
There's really no timeline that I know of.
You may find you need to drain again in a few days if the abdomen fills back up, sometimes 1 time is all that's needed to make a hen more comfortable and be able to go back to chickening for a period of time.

With her stance and the color of the fluid drained from the abdomen, this girl is not well.

Did she show any improvement at all once you drained that fluid or is she still really hunched up?

She seems much better. Her belly isn’t balloon like anymore and her sour crop seems to be gone. She still wheezes a tiny bit but she’s done that for a very long time. She is outside now and sleeping with the others but during the day I put her in my “triage pen.” She’s been getting picked on since she was out of the group for a week. She doesn’t seem willing to stand up for herself. She wasn’t the bottom of the pecking order before but not the top either. She kind of goes in the chicken house and hides. So I’ve been keeping her out until she’s ready to be a bit more assertive.

She seems much better. Her belly isn’t balloon like anymore and her sour crop seems to be gone. She still wheezes a tiny bit but she’s done that for a very long time. She is outside now and sleeping with the others but during the day I put her in my “triage pen.” She’s been getting picked on since she was out of the group for a week. She doesn’t seem willing to stand up for herself. She wasn’t the bottom of the pecking order before but not the top either. She kind of goes in the chicken house and hides. So I’ve been keeping her out until she’s ready to be a bit more assertive.
Glad she's improving!

Make a tincture of Peppermint, Spearmint, Ginger, Goldenrod, Nettle leaf, Oregano, Thyme and/or Yarrow (As many sa you have). I added Tumeric to aid with inflammation.

20 drops. These all help support lung function and help the wheezing. I'd start with 2x a day.

Thank you!! Any tips on where to find some of these items? I have some of them in essential oils, and I have fresh ginger root already, but I’m not sure where I would find Goldenrod this time of year or nettle leaf.

Thank you!! Any tips on where to find some of these items? I have some of them in essential oils, and I have fresh ginger root already, but I’m not sure where I would find Goldenrod this time of year or nettle leaf.
Depending on where you live, Goldenrod is probably that yellow flower growing on the side of the road and in every field about now.

It needs to be the herb. Hit up an herbal store. Most can be found in the seasoning section of the grocery store.

Nettle can be found as a tea at nutrition and vitamin shops.

Back
Top Bottom