Sour crop but what else? Lice?

daisychickiemama

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Hi everyone,
3 day so ago I found Ginger, a red sex-link was looking quite puffed up and noticeably uncomfortable. I determined she had sour crop and I started giving her yeast infection medicine. Her crop seems much better and I’ve still been giving her the medicine as one of the other articles say to give it twice a day for 7 days. So I’m continuing to do so. The problem is she doesn’t seem to be feeling too much better yet. I kept her inside today since it’s so cold out, I figured she didn’t need to be any more stressed than necessary. She’s still standing and sitting fairly puffed up. I’ve been giving her the medicine on some scrambled eggs twice a day. She’s been pretty receptive of the food and she of course has had access to clean water. She just still seems uncomfortable and like she doesn’t feel great. She’s been pretty open to letting me pick her up when normally she isn’t very cuddly. I did have to clean her bum about a week or two ago, she has a fluffy butt and things just get stuck to it sometimes. I didn’t think too much of it, but there seemed to be quite a bit she was carrying around back there.

I’ve never dealt with lice or mites. So I have no idea if she might have them too? But here is a picture of her feathers… can anyone recommend anything else I should be checking or watching out for?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 8
I think the sour crop has been cured, it hasn’t felt full or squishy since a day or two after I started treating it.

She is 2.5 years old. I’m not sure when she laid her last egg to be honest. I have three red sex-links (amongst 7 others) so I’m not entirely sure who lays what as they all lay in the same spot and laying has slowed down quite a bit with the time/weather changes.

I don’t see anything around her vent besides some poo that needs cleaned off. Guess she might be getting a Brazilian soon since she can’t seem to keep clean down there.

Just have no idea what else might be ailing her?
I highly recommend not giving her the Brazilian treatment if she doesn’t need it.

I picked up some calcium citrate and fed it to her with some eggs. I also gave her some B12 and Nutri-drench. Her belly felt like maybe she had ascites so I decided to try to drain her to give her some relief. I’m attaching a picture. I’m alarmed at how dark it looks, however I realized it might be that way because of the nutri-drench? That stuff is really dark and always such a mess. Or does this mean something else? She ate some eggs and grit afterwards. And drank some on her own. Now she seems ready for a nap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 6
I think the sour crop has been cured, it hasn’t felt full or squishy since a day or two after I started treating it.

She is 2.5 years old. I’m not sure when she laid her last egg to be honest. I have three red sex-links (amongst 7 others) so I’m not entirely sure who lays what as they all lay in the same spot and laying has slowed down quite a bit with the time/weather changes.

I don’t see anything around her vent besides some poo that needs cleaned off. Guess she might be getting a Brazilian soon since she can’t seem to keep clean down there.

Just have no idea what else might be ailing her?

Here is a picture of her poo. Definitely not solid but not totally liquid either. I thought I would give her some mash today since I plan on keeping her inside again and she won’t have access to it in the coop. It’s freezing out here. She only ate scrambled eggs yesterday. But had access to her mash the day before.

And ok thanks, I won’t give her the Brazilian especially since it’s so cold out but she has to be miserable with poo on her butt all the time. I’m going to clean her up, I just thought if I trimmed her up down there it would help her to keep herself clean.

She’s still acting the same this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 8
Her abdomen does seem slightly bloated. But more so than that, her breast bone feels very prominent. She got a little spa treatment this evening, I gave her a bath and cleaned her bum really well and dried her with the hair dryer. I also noticed that the scales on her legs look a little strange. I’ll try to attach a photo. Could that be what is spurring all of this on? She did eat some grit today. I put some B12 on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 7
She also has a black dot on her beak?

Also just a note her abdomen doesn’t feel hard. I did have a chicken pass away in the past with what I believe was some sort of internal laying issue. Her entire stomach contents looked like hard scrambled eggs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 8
Her abdomen does seem slightly bloated. But more so than that, her breast bone feels very prominent. She got a little spa treatment this evening, I gave her a bath and cleaned her bum really well and dried her with the hair dryer. I also noticed that the scales on her legs look a little strange. I’ll try to attach a photo. Could that be what is spurring all of this on? She did eat some grit today. I put some B12 on it.
Since you think her abdomen is bloated she could have a reproduction issue. She needs to gain some weight.
The scales could be a mild case of scaly leg mites.
She also has a black dot on her beak?

Also just a note her abdomen doesn’t feel hard. I did have a chicken pass away in the past with what I believe was some sort of internal laying issue. Her entire stomach contents looked like hard scrambled eggs.
That scab isn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom