1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sour Crop death :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessicaroo, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    We lost our first chicken out of our flock that we started back in February. I believe she had sour crop and I kick myself for not seeing the early symptoms. I believe by the time we caught it, it was just too late. She was laying on the ground, completely out of it, weak and lethargic. Her crop was swollen so big she could barely stand. We tried massage and she ended up vomiting a very very large amount of horribly smelly brown liquid. Once she was empty, she was a little more perky but still really weak. We gave her ACV water, but by the morning, she had passed. I'm just curious if anyone has any preventative suggestions? I don't want to go through this again. Their run, coop, food is all out of the weather and kept dry. They don't free range during the winter. I gave all my hens plain yogurt today and ACV water. Any suggestions appreciated! Thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Very sorry for your loss of the hen. Over the years of dealing with this issue a few times, I can give you an idea of how to prevent these problems. Digestive failure due to disease, deficient diet, intestinal parasites can all instigate crop problems. Feed the best quality ration you can that chickens find palatable. Fine bird grit or chick grit is what I mix in feed daily. A tablespoon mixed with a couple pounds of feed in a bucket works. Mix it up well before doling out in feeders. I dole out the feed in troughs and hanging feeders as needed. Give a bit of scratch every so often to exercise the gizzard. Some rolled oats on occasion is good too. It doesn't matter that grit is available in the environment. I do it anyway. Certain times of the year when grass has rapid growth, keep it cut in range areas. Long stalks and chutes are very difficult to digest. It keeps the populations of slug, snail, and bug vectors for intestinal worms down as well.

Regularly supplement water with Probios dispersible powder, and vitamins-minerals (3 days a week). Probios has superior absorption compared to others http://www.probios.com/ . Don't toss scratch feeds among shavings. Variety in diet is beneficial, but common sense determines variety. Hard fibrous foods+limited to no grit means less digestibility and stress upon the digestive system. Worm your birds with the appropriate wormer a few times a year, or depending on the condition of droppings. Garlic, ACV, cayenne pepper, DE, are not wormers, nor will those substances prevent worms. Inspect droppings often. Don't use ACV as a regular supplement regardless of all the misinformation spread about how beneficial it is. It actually depletes calcium needed by the bird, and upsets the balance of digestive flora needed in the digestive system. I won't make that an argument.

That is a quick rundown of points I follow and do not see impacted crops anymore. One more thing. Birds which are accustomed to eating from feeders, should not run out of feed. When they do, they can gorge themselves on inappropriate objects. Too high a protein content causes digestive problems and gout. Supplementing protein during molt is beneficial, but don't do it for extended periods of time. When birds are let out of an area that contains no grass, they will quickly gorge themselves on range grasses. During the Summer, when fields are dry, I supplement with young kale. Kale is rich in Vitamin A, C,D, E, K, B6, potassium, calcium, manganese. Good luck for healthy birds and no more crop troubles.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Mesopotamia99

Mesopotamia99 New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    My Chicken died today from Sour crop.. im so devestated :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by