SOUR CROP - HELP NEEDED IMMEDIATELY!!!

Apr 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
One of my 18 week old pullets has a large crop that feels like a water balloon - very soft and squishy. I also saw her spitting up about 1 or 2 teaspoons of clear water/mucus. I’ve seen her spit up little droplets before, but didn’t think much of it.

Is this sour crop?

I’ve separated her for the night in my garage in a playpen so I can closely monitor her, and I’m going to get up early to check on her tomorrow morning.

If it IS sour crop, how should I treat her?

Well, you have done right by separating her. Then you just need to stop feeding her anything and add apple cider vinegar to her water. A little bit of garlic will help also. Watch this:

P.S. I think the apple cider vinegar also helps with mucus and mucus might mean it is a respiratory disease.

Also do not feed her any grass or starch, like bread. They cause sour crop. You can feed it to chickens on normal, but not to chicks with sour crop. Best wishes to you and your chicken!

I gave the whole flock garlic water, 1 clove per quart. Is that the right dosage? I’ve heard it’s good to give garlic treatment every once in a while, so I thought I’d just give it to everyone. No free ranging today, either, at least for the sour crop suspect, in order to prevent her from eating grass.

Back
Top Bottom