Sour crop? HELP

She didn't have access to food or water all night right?

Can you get a picture of her poop?

I would follow the article for treatment.

If I have a hen that has a fluid filled crop in the morning, then I treat as a Sour Crop. You may not smell a yeasty odor yet because you have caught it early.
Miconazole or Clotrimazole can be used. Give this 2X a day for 7 days, even if she gets better and the crop is normal, it's important to give for the full 7 days.

I do not withhold food or water during waking hours, I let them eat/drink free choice. I also leave them with their flock to move about as they normally would.
Some folks feel like they need to cage their hen so they can monitor closely and if that's what you really feel like you need to do, that's o.k. too.

You've noticed this early on, treat her and see how it goes. A crop can become slow for various reasons.
Try not to be nervous, you've got this:hugs

I'm going to tag our own lovely Carol (@azygous ) to chime in with thoughts, suggestions and support. She's been a tremendous mentor and help, especially with ailing hens with crop problems.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Sorry my first reply was so short. I was in school and not technically allowed to use my phone. She had access to food but I felt several other birds’ crops and all were empty. No water though. I will try to get a pic of her poop. While I was at school my mom separated her form the others and she has no access to food or water now. Is that a good idea or a bad idea? She also said we should treat with yogurt and vinegar because last time when we miconazole the hen died. Thoughts? I think I should at least give her some water.

I would give access to water during waking hours, you don't want her dehydrated and water can help flush her system.

edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom