Sour crop in bantam

:hugs No sweetie, there was nothing more that you could have done.

That thing you pulled out had a thickened skin - the "skin" I can only assume was an attempt by the body to "encase" the blockage since it couldn't be passed. Much like a "lash egg" which is usually found in the oviduct - those usually have multiple layers "lashed together". When I first saw your photo I thought of lash egg, but then I saw it was found in the intestines and it had grass(?) inside.

I do not know what the yellow powder could have been. Did you happen to take photos of that? I promise you won't gross us out. If you have more photos you want to share I'll tag in more people to take a look, this is how we all learn - I may not know, but someone is likely to be able to figure it out.

No I didnt take pictures of the powder stuff...but it was just a yellow Sandy powder....usually when I clean the ones we butcher it will have small eggs in it...but this one just had powder...it was odd...something I have never seen before....it felt just like sand...slightly gritty....but bright yellow....I'm just glad it isn't something the others can catch...that's the whole reason I cut inito her to check it out...and the skin like thing.. it had some grass inside but no feed or liquid was in the intestines...now I have to figure out where she got that much grass to eat unless she was eating the hay that we put down in the pens...which would be odd since they always have food available..

Interesting.
There could be some hay in that. I put straw down and notice some of my ladies pick through it and eat some type of greenish looking pieces from that, I assume it grass or weeds that grew in the field. It doesn't seem to matter if they have plenty of food or not, chickens will find something to eat that they really shouldn't. I have one that would knock you down to get to a piece of styrofoam:hmm

Take a look at this link - Kathy posted a "chart" I wonder if the yellow powdery stuff was urate deposits (?) Just guessing.

It's good that you were able to take a look and see what was going on, even though it's very sad and a hard thing to do, sometimes just knowing makes it a little easier. I'm not very good with necropsy, but I open my girls up too - even if I have a good idea, I still like to know as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom