Sour crop- is it to late to save her?

Pics
Gracie wasn’t looking so hot this morning.. she doesn’t have the strength to stand and her breathing looks labored. She keeps her eyes shut and when you talk to her, she barely opens her one eye.. almost like she’s giving you the stink eye. It made it easy this morning to pop the monistat down her beak along with the antibiotic.. Her crop is still large but instead of squishy it’s now firm, not hard but firmer than the past. I was just thinking I maybe shouldn’t be putting the antibiotics on a small nickel size piece of bread.. could that be causing the yeasty build up? Her stools are more frequent, pretty loose, not a lot coming out but more than before and it’s somewhat normal coloring. She didn’t touch the yogurt or eggs this morning.. should I up her antibiotic dose? I’m currently giving her .2ml twice a day.

What is the med again? and what strength is it?

Bread in such a small amount shouldn't be that much carbs, but maybe try just popping the dose directly into her beak instead.

Now that the crop has drained and left a more solid mass, try gently massaging the contents after you give the miconazole. Focus your finger tips on the center of the mass and try to get it to break up.

Gracie is probably getting weak from starvation. You may need to tube feed before this is over if she gets too weak to eat.
I cropped part of the prescription label and will post below.
3A7B5C2C-6EBA-43F1-828F-84FAD015FB25.jpeg

Try dividing the 2ml dose into 1ml in the morning and the other in the evening. Her runny stool is one of the side effects of the drug.

Have you tried massaging the crop and seeing if the mass will break up?

Try dividing the 2ml dose into 1ml in the morning and the other in the evening. Her runny stool is one of the side effects of the drug.

Have you tried massaging the crop and seeing if the mass will break up?
I haven’t massaged her crop for the past couple of days but would periodically feel it to see if there has been progress. I’ll massage it when I get home from work today. I shouldn’t rub it upwards though right? In the middle or down?

The Medistatin is finally here!! I’m not sure how to treat her. I can find directions for pigeons, hand reared chicks and feed application. She isn’t eating feed so that won’t work.. It’s a powder and I’m assuming dilute it? Any suggestions on how to dose, the amounts and how often? I was just reading the bottle and it states not for food producing animals.. does this mean I can’t use her eggs if she starts laying again?

Use about a teaspoon over the course of a day sprinkled onto foods. You will want to refrain from eating eggs from her for about two weeks after the treatment ends.
What do I do if she’s not really eating? I’m trying to remain positive but am emotionally exhausted. After I got home from work I immediately went down to check on her and she has blood in her stools again and it doesn’t smell like normal chicken poo.. it’s has a very strange odor to it.. almost like the smell of infection if that makes sense. Her crop is still big and instead of being firm it’s now squishy again.

I melted a little bit of coconut oil and mixed in a 1/4 tsp of the powder. I put it in the fridge to harden and cut it into chunks and popped them down her beak. About 10 minutes later she laid down and started to turn on her side so I picked her up and she vomited all over. Her crop is still huge! Did I make her worse by giving her this? Do I give her more since she threw up?

There may be something in the intestines or other parts of the digestive tract that the sulfa isn't able to respond to, a blockage such as a tumor. There's no way to know, but an infection should be responding to the sulfa by now, and the crop should be draining better than it is.

I'm only bringing this up because it would explain why we aren't seeing the progress we should be seeing at this point. It doesn't mean that this is a diagnosis. Even a vet wouldn't be able to tell without fancy imaging equipment.

All we can do is keep up with the meds, and hope they kick in soon.

One thing I've tried when a crop refuses to empty is to massage very gently, keeping to the lowest part of the crop, while cupping the crop in the other hand to elevate it so it is even with the crop drain on that diagram. This will help empty the crop unless there's a solid blockage downstream preventing it.

Yes, I'm very worried, too. Sometimes doing all we can isn't enough.
Hopefully some of the Medstatin/nystatin stayed in.. and maybe another night will help. I’m fearing it’s more than what we can fix. I lightly touched her crop to feel it and she burped and started acting like she was drinking so it must be pretty full of liquid. The crop smell isn’t as bad as it was (still there tho) so that’s giving me something to hold onto. Will the coconut oil help lube things up so if there is a blockage somewhere it will help push it through? Is my other hand that’s cupping the crop kinda pushing it down as I lightly rub the bottom so she doesn’t throw up again or just trying to hold it in place as I massage?

I might just add that for a sour crop full of liquid that fails to empty after one or two days on miconazole, it's probably due to more yeast than the amount of miconazole is able to tackle. Increasing the dose to double the amount or keeping to the same amount but giving it three times a day will usually start conquering the yeast. Once the yeast is reduced, the crop will empty rather dramatically on its own without trying to invert the chicken and making her vomit to empty the crop. Even if you succeed in making a chicken vomit without her aspirating any liquid, it only comes right back because it's the yeast overrunning the crop that is causing it to fill up.

By the way, some say you should withhold food and water. Not necessary. The patient usually doesn't feel like eating or drinking for one thing, and when she feels ready to eat, she will not over indulge to her detriment. Just make her regular feed available with access to fresh water. She will probably enjoy some Greek yogurt since she will crave it to replenish her system with good microbes. Giving a probiotic tablet will help in lieu of yogurt.
AZY i need help and im praying u see this. I apologize for jumping on someone elses thread. I have a 3 yr old gir whose lost a massive 400gms and is in heavy moult. I took her to vets. Prescribed amoxycillian, cocci treatment. Nothing is working.
Her crop is huge this last wk only barely half emptying has nil appetite even for eggs but is drinking lots. Her crop is si full she throws her head back nearly onto her back. The crop is boggy. She poos only huge fluid amounts. I am convinced it isntbacterial at all but fungal. In a last ditch effort I was going to try and vomit her. Clear it out but after reading your stuff i am hesitant too. We r nearly at Euthanasia point. No vets open today but what if its just sour crop??? Question i have dizole tabs in 150mg and 200mg for thrush for humans. Can i give her it. I have no other medications to treat fungal. She is hanging on. Wants to be here. Plz help me with any advice. I cant even crop needle her food neo care the vet wanted because her crop is to squishy and full of water. It gurgles.

AZY i need help and im praying u see this. I apologize for jumping on someone elses thread. I have a 3 yr old gir whose lost a massive 400gms and is in heavy moult. I took her to vets. Prescribed amoxycillian, cocci treatment. Nothing is working.
Her crop is huge this last wk only barely half emptying has nil appetite even for eggs but is drinking lots. Her crop is si full she throws her head back nearly onto her back. The crop is boggy. She poos only huge fluid amounts. I am convinced it isntbacterial at all but fungal. In a last ditch effort I was going to try and vomit her. Clear it out but after reading your stuff i am hesitant too. We r nearly at Euthanasia point. No vets open today but what if its just sour crop??? Question i have dizole tabs in 150mg and 200mg for thrush for humans. Can i give her it. I have no other medications to treat fungal. She is hanging on. Wants to be here. Plz help me with any advice. I cant even crop needle her food neo care the vet wanted because her crop is to squishy and full of water. It gurgles.
I’m not sure of this would help or not.. I had a little girl who was drinking a lot and her crop was full, squishy and would make gurgling sounds. her poop was straight liquid no solids in it. I came across an Epsom salt flush because it could be an impaction in their gizzard that is causing a backup.. so I took 1 tsp Epsom salt and dissolved it in one ounce of warm water. I syringed the water to her. In about 4-6 hours her poops started to have bits of solids in it and within 12 hours she was eating food and pooping regular looking poops. Not sure if this is your little girl’s problem but it helped mine.

Back
Top Bottom