Sour crop- is it to late to save her?

This is such an educational thread, thank you for your expertise @azygous, and I love your dedication @#lovemychickens ! You definitely picked the right username. :)

Just popping in to say that I'm cheering you on and watching the progress on this thread with interest. I'm glad to hear her energy is up a bit! Would love to see a pic of this little girl if you ever get a chance, though I realize that isn't your top priority right now.

This is such an educational thread, thank you for your expertise @azygous, and I love your dedication @#lovemychickens ! You definitely picked the right username. :)

Just popping in to say that I'm cheering you on and watching the progress on this thread with interest. I'm glad to hear her energy is up a bit! Would love to see a pic of this little girl if you ever get a chance, though I realize that isn't your top priority right now.
I can always make time to show off my other children! Is it wrong that I have more pictures of my chickens on my phone than my own children?!? 😂 So kidding! I am so appreciative of all of the support from everyone on backyard chickens and especially from @azygous (#lovingazygous!).. it’s what keeps me from losing hope and from throwing in the towel. Below is Miss Gracie ❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• 1CA7996F-F272-40B9-A114-D7CC481E4674.png
    1CA7996F-F272-40B9-A114-D7CC481E4674.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Just found this thread tonight. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Miss Gracie (my Sheltie shares her name!). You are doing such a great job of caring for her! And I always learn from our Ms @azygous, where would BYC be without her and others like her, I ❤❤❤❤ them all so much! They make this the great place it is! Will be watching this thread for more good news!

Gracie wasn’t looking so hot this morning.. she doesn’t have the strength to stand and her breathing looks labored. She keeps her eyes shut and when you talk to her, she barely opens her one eye.. almost like she’s giving you the stink eye. It made it easy this morning to pop the monistat down her beak along with the antibiotic.. Her crop is still large but instead of squishy it’s now firm, not hard but firmer than the past. I was just thinking I maybe shouldn’t be putting the antibiotics on a small nickel size piece of bread.. could that be causing the yeasty build up? Her stools are more frequent, pretty loose, not a lot coming out but more than before and it’s somewhat normal coloring. She didn’t touch the yogurt or eggs this morning.. should I up her antibiotic dose? I’m currently giving her .2ml twice a day.

What is the med again? and what strength is it?

Bread in such a small amount shouldn't be that much carbs, but maybe try just popping the dose directly into her beak instead.

Now that the crop has drained and left a more solid mass, try gently massaging the contents after you give the miconazole. Focus your finger tips on the center of the mass and try to get it to break up.

Gracie is probably getting weak from starvation. You may need to tube feed before this is over if she gets too weak to eat.

What is the med again? and what strength is it?

Bread in such a small amount shouldn't be that much carbs, but maybe try just popping the dose directly into her beak instead.

Now that the crop has drained and left a more solid mass, try gently massaging the contents after you give the miconazole. Focus your finger tips on the center of the mass and try to get it to break up.

Gracie is probably getting weak from starvation. You may need to tube feed before this is over if she gets too weak to eat.
I cropped part of the prescription label and will post below.
3A7B5C2C-6EBA-43F1-828F-84FAD015FB25.jpeg

Try dividing the 2ml dose into 1ml in the morning and the other in the evening. Her runny stool is one of the side effects of the drug.

Have you tried massaging the crop and seeing if the mass will break up?

Try dividing the 2ml dose into 1ml in the morning and the other in the evening. Her runny stool is one of the side effects of the drug.

Have you tried massaging the crop and seeing if the mass will break up?
I haven’t massaged her crop for the past couple of days but would periodically feel it to see if there has been progress. I’ll massage it when I get home from work today. I shouldn’t rub it upwards though right? In the middle or down?

Back
Top Bottom