Sour Crop-Just Checking I'm Treating it Right

Adey65

Chirping
Jul 6, 2021
I have been treating my girl for what I thought was a bacterial infection and only realized today after some research she has a sour crop. I can't believe I missed it. She has barely eaten much for several days and her crop is like a balloon, all squidgy, and her breath stinks. I drained her crop twice today. I know some people don't advise this and I can understand why, but I felt confident enough to do it, and it turned out fine. I don't want to be doing this again though, and I assume there is no need either?

I am treating her with Daktarin oral gel 2% Miconazole twice daily for 7 days. I've read the post on here about treatment with Miconazole and I see it mentions offering plain water and foods such as egg and live yoghurt. I offered her small pieces of boiled egg and Fage yogurt but she didn't touch any, which I suppose is no surprise as it's early days. As she was being treated with antibiotics (Amoxicillin) would it be okay to offer her water with probiotics in, such as Aviform probiotic digestive tonic, rather than plain water.

One thing I noticed after about an hour and a half of giving her Daktarin, was her poop, which has been runny, was a much darker color and a lot more of it. She seems somewhat better already in herself. She is moving around more and is drinking as well. I also noticed her flicking her head. I've read that this could be her adjusting her crop or maybe trying to throw up. I think that's everything covered. Two years I've been looking after chickens, and I've loved every minute of it, other than the last two months, but I guess it's all about learning from your mistakes. Thanks for your help in advance.

Back
Top Bottom