Sour Crop Making Hen Really Weak

FutureFarmGal

Chirping
Feb 7, 2016
My 3 year old hen has been lethargic for a couple days. We put apple cider vinegar in the water but she isn't eating much or drinking and can barely keep her eyes open now. We've been massaging her very squishy crop and brought her inside to isolate her and keep her warm but I'm not sure what else I can do. We used a syringe to get some water and apple cider vinegar down her. There' mucus stuff coming from her beak and it smells bad so I'm pretty sure it's sour crop.
Any advice or ideas of what to do is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

My 3 year old hen has been lethargic for a couple days. We put apple cider vinegar in the water but she isn't eating much or drinking and can barely keep her eyes open now. We've been massaging her very squishy crop and brought her inside to isolate her and keep her warm but I'm not sure what else I can do. We used a syringe to get some water and apple cider vinegar down her. There' mucus stuff coming from her beak and it smells bad so I'm pretty sure it's sour crop.
Any advice or ideas of what to do is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I'm sorry that your hen is sick:hugs

When was the last time she laid an egg?
Any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?

Crop problems are often a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, coccidiosis, worms and infection.
If the crop is sour and not emptying, you need to try to figure out if it's impacted or slow due to inflammation somewhere else in the body. A sour crop is usually yeasty or fungal so you need to treat with something like Nystatin or you can follow the methods outlined in the following articles. I recommend that you read the articles through before trying any treatment. If you have vet care, that is always best.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I agree it sounds like sour crop, but I also think you should read the articles provided. Take care with syringing fluids, as if it goes in the wrong hole, you can get fluidin her lungs (aspirate her). In the mean time, I recommend you feed her some egg to get some nutrients in her without feeding the yeast, if that’s what she has. My birds cannot resist raw egg yolk, even when they are sick. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you all for responding and replying, I really appreciate it. She passed on about an hour and a half after I posted this thread :hit

Back
Top Bottom