Sour crop? Need advice fast

We haven’t done that. What’s the difference between epsom salt and saline? Her bubble is so big I don’t even know if a half cup of water would fit in there
Also is it pretty easy to identify the opening on I guess it would be s the esophagus on a chicken as opposed to the trachea. When you intubate a human and get the tube in the esophagus we call that “tubing the goose.” That’s bad. Clearly tubing a chook trachea when you intend to flush a crop is also bad.

Here's what the throat of a chicken looks like and where you will place the tubing.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Saline is sodium chloride, a caustic mineral. Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate, a mild laxative safe to consume.
When I flush the
Yes, chickens have a perverse penchant for eating Styrofoam, silicone caulk, wall insulation, etc. Usually, as long as the particles are bite size, it passes through the digestive system harmlessly. However, if a great quantity is consumed, it can result in impacted crop. Generally, you can determine the nature of the crop contents by feel.

As for air or gas being a problem, unless its an air sac that is overfull and inflamed, other gas or air should be able to find its way out of a crop from natural movement by the chicken. The crop is not sealed so air should escape on its own.

Have you tried an Epsom salt flush yet? That's what I recommend when a crop issue fails to completely resolve. Chickens tolerate it well. The protocol is one teaspoon of magnesium sulfate dissolved in half a cup of warm water and tubed directly into the crop twice a day for three consecutive days. It flushes out any yeast remnants as well as most leftover impacted material. Then if that fails, crop surgery may then be required. But try probiotics after the final flush. Restoring good microbes in the digestive system may take things to completion.
getting ready to head out to get a couple things I need for the flush. When you say flush are you meaning that I should also be pulling the half cup of epsom salt water back out of the crop with the catheter syringe tube? Or am I just leaving it all inside her? Thank you.

Flush mean hosing it on through the entire digestive system. It's put into the crop and it works its way down and out the other end. It's sort of like a colonoscopy prep where a whole lot of this very sort of solution is drunk, and the result is intestines and colon whistle clean after it flushes out the other end. Are you old enough to have had a colonoscopy yet? If not, boy are you in for a treat.

Flush mean hosing it on through the entire digestive system. It's put into the crop and it works its way down and out the other end. It's sort of like a colonoscopy prep where a whole lot of this very sort of solution is drunk, and the result is intestines and colon whistle clean after it flushes out the other end. Are you old enough to have had a colonoscopy yet? If not, boy are you in for a treat.
Hahahahahahaha yes. I am 😂 thanks for the clarification. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thank you.

Hi guys. Some of you might remember me from my posts about mareks wiping out 9 of my 10 girls.

We got a new batch of vaccinated littles. They will be 13 weeks in a couple days.

We noticed a full morning crop a few days ago. It feels like sour crop. Super soft. Nothing hard. Started her on miconazole yesterday. Just had her 3rd dose this morning. Other than swapping all the regular water to probiotic and ACV waters we haven’t done anything different. She’s still out with the others.

She seemed otherwise normal this morning but now she’s not doing so good. She’s standing alone and undulating and keeping her beak open frequently. Nothing is coming out.

Trying to get our farm vet out here but no luck so far.

I’ve heard people say to make them vomit and I’ve heard people say not to.

I feel like I should do something until I can get the vet out here but I’m stuck on what to do.

Should I make her vomit or what should I do?

Thank you.
I would separate her from the other hens and don’t give her anything that can feed yeast or bacteria. Give her only protein items such as meat and scrambled eggs as well as plain Greek yogurt. Starve the bad bacteria and increase good bacteria. I gently empty the crop myself first with a gentle massage and tilting her forward. Sometimes the crop will empty but only a little at a time as there is the danger of aspiration if not careful. Once I empty what I can, then I start the new protein only diet to starve the bad bacteria or yeast whatever it may be.I’ve saved many hens this way. Anyway that’s what I do. Hope you get her feeling good again

Back
Top Bottom