Sour crop? no smell?

jdcase86

Hatching
Jun 28, 2023
I am new to chickens... I never really paid much attention to how my chickens crop feels til I was just randomly reading about chicken issues and learned that they should NOT feel squishy and balloon-like....
So I have a few chickens and one silkie who are a few months old. I also have 4 new baby silkies 2weeks old.

My big silkies crop always feels squishy. Always. he/she acts fine... eats and drinks....talks to me lol
and now I've noticed my babies crops feel the same way.
There is no smell at all with any of them.
I am unable to catch my other chickens anymore...so I've not felt any of theirs. If it doesnt smell, is it sour crop? Is this something to worry about? They all act just fine...but like I said...Im new to this.

I am new to chickens... I never really paid much attention to how my chickens crop feels til I was just randomly reading about chicken issues and learned that they should NOT feel squishy and balloon-like....
So I have a few chickens and one silkie who are a few months old. I also have 4 new baby silkies 2weeks old.

My big silkies crop always feels squishy. Always. he/she acts fine... eats and drinks....talks to me lol
and now I've noticed my babies crops feel the same way.
There is no smell at all with any of them.
I am unable to catch my other chickens anymore...so I've not felt any of theirs. If it doesnt smell, is it sour crop? Is this something to worry about? They all act just fine...but like I said...Im new to this.
A regular chickens crop should feel slightly soft when squeezed but not squishy. Are there any other things you have noticed? Sometimes there can be a blockage causing fluid to get trapped and a squishy crop, however this is also a symptom of sour crop. Keep a close eye on them for now and feel if their crop empties overnight.

Back
Top Bottom