Sour crop or slow draining crop?

Hmmm, so if the crop puffs up during the day and its squishy but still a good handful. I can feel the grit in there. And it drains overnight, then the bird just digests slow? Or is there a medical problem?

Is it possible that they are drinking more water that usual so their crop is ballooning up and feels larger than you might expect, but then it drains? As long as it is not staying a large size then you know it is not a full blockage. Grit will actually stay in the crop, that is normal. Also, squishy is better than hard and impacted.

But it is possible that it is draining slowly so it doesn't hurt to try some of the remedies for sour crop take a look at this thread for ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=156772

Last edited:
A really good way to tell that you have a case of sour crop is to smell your chicken's beak (yeah I know, it's weird). If your chicken's breath makes you want to pass out and die, then it's sour crop.

If there is no smell, I wouldn't worry.

Quote:
No smell. Poop stinks. Does that count?

So overnight I had about 50% drain down. So this time not 100% of the swelling went down. Im so lost. I'll continue yogurt, grit, and apple cidar in the water. Is that good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I tried to put new post but nobody answered.
My favorite now broody ( she was free range and two days before hatching) Cochin hen Lani the day before yesterday probably had beginning of sour crop (no smell yet ) about 3/4 of tennis ball. I treated her with olive oil and massage and only liquid food. From hard it become like soft clay and yesterday it felt like liquid. She was eating two days but not pooping. Today she is pooping but not drinking any liquid. Her water balloon crop is not decrease in size. Does it mean that something stuck in her digestive track and is not allows even liquid to penetrate. This is my first health problem with my chickens for few years. I can't loose her. Please help. Sorry for my not native English.
Thank you

Quote:
No smell. Poop stinks. Does that count?

So overnight I had about 50% drain down. So this time not 100% of the swelling went down. Im so lost. I'll continue yogurt, grit, and apple cidar in the water. Is that good?

Yes, you might want to dose her with olive oil too to lube up her crop and let things pass. I'd use an eyedropper if you don't have a tube (which few people do). Just make sure to release the oil well back behind her tongue, if you release it to high up in her mouth, she could drown. You'd want to wrap her firmly in a towel first, chickens do not take well to being force-fed.

I would also massage her crop when you dose her as well, to help break up blockage.

The next steps, if these things don't work, would involve forcing her to vomit (not fun or recommended if you don't have to). The most extreme scenarios involve surgical opening of the crop, which I've heard can be viewed on YouTube.

Good luck!

I noticed my 4 year old hen had a very large crop yesterday . I have noticed her sitting in the coop and not moving around much . No liquid is coming out of her beak . She is still eating and drinking . Her crop is the size of a baseball maybe a little larger . It's aged and checked her this morning , it's still big but not as big and its soft and squishy . Is there anything else I can do for her ? Thanks for any help

Back
Top Bottom