Sour crop or Yogurt?

herremagen

Hatching
Jul 21, 2016
Hello, I have a fifteen week old indoor barred rock pullet named Betty.

Yesterday, while under supervision in the living room, she began to choke on something she ate off of the floor, probably a hair or a wood trip from a recent rebuild of her indoor overnight coop.

She stood with her mouth agape and then violently shook her head while making a frantic clucking noise.

My first instinct was to get a little yogurt cup and have her take a few gulps to coat the possible hair or to gently pass the obstruction into her crop. It worked and she stopped choking.

That night, she did the silent crow choke again, this time minus the head shake. I gave her the rest of the yogurt mixed with some oatmeal and it helped again.

An hour or so later the concern got to me and I read that silent crowing can sometimes be a sign of sour crop. I felt her crop and it was incredibly squishy. I forgot about the yogurt immediately and freaked out.

I removed all of the food and water from her overnight pen and checked on her this morning. Her crop was 100% empty to my relief.

Was the squishy crop just a symptom of her yogurt consumption and I'm just a crazy chicken mom, or should I take her to the vet just to be sure?

Also when I checked for acidic breath, all I could smell was yogurt.

Last edited:

This is Betty. Her face is starting to redden and her waddles are dropping.

I think if her crop emptied normally I would give her food back and just keep an eye on her. She's a real cutie :) I love my barred rocks but their curiosity and attitude can get them into troubles sometimes lol. It's a good habit to get into to do a crop check each night and morning so you know what's normal for each girl. Hope she's well.

Back
Top Bottom