Sour Crop PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HorseFeathers, Sep 19, 2008.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Olympia, just getting over her broodiness, is acting very strangely. Her crop seems full of fluid, she is reluctant to eat, keeps wiping her beak, making whimpering noises, and the small poop she was able to get out is bright green. What is this? We gave her some bread and a bit of yogurt.

Please help! Olympia is a special favorite. So far we have helped her out with bumblefoot and two bouts of broodiness. Please. Any ideas are appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Also (sorry to post twice) we've noticed that the past few days her comb, wattles and face are very pale. Broodiness or something else?

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I read something after googling last week about holding the bird upside down and slowly pushing all the fluid out and then feeding yogurt. My RLW seemed to have had it too badly by the size so I culled her Saturday...hope you caught yours sooner and there was a warning about getting the fluid out that way, too...good luck!

4. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

When Chickie got a "sour crop" I just held her and massaged her crop. It took her a few days but she is fine now.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Thank you. We just tried feeding water and yogurt from an eyedropper and scrambled egg from hand but still not hungry. We have her in a dog crate in the house on newspaper with egg and water. The noises she makes just break you heart.

Please please help. We can't lose Olympia.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Another little green poop. She's seems to be burping- just gas and bad breath. Her crop's all blown up again. HELP!!!

7. jasminty

jasminty Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2008
    CA
    I'm a bit new to chickens but I have been doing a ton of reading this week. I read about dripping some oil down their beak and gently massaging it down, or holding them upside down and gently massaging it up into their mouth. I think either way getting movement and getting it out of the crop is the key and I think the oil helps loosen/lube/break it up.
    You will have to look up what kind of oil is ok (veg, olive, or what?), I dont want to say something that is not safe if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Good luck! Hope she gets better soon!

8. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
  9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Thank you. We held her upside down and massaged her crop to make her "vomit" and a whole bunch of yucky fluid came out. Poor girl seems much better now.

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

hope that does the trick. poor girl! Glad she's feeling much better now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by