Sour Crop PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

HorseFeathers

Frazzled
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Southern Maine
Olympia, just getting over her broodiness, is acting very strangely. Her crop seems full of fluid, she is reluctant to eat, keeps wiping her beak, making whimpering noises, and the small poop she was able to get out is bright green. What is this? We gave her some bread and a bit of yogurt.

Please help! Olympia is a special favorite. So far we have helped her out with bumblefoot and two bouts of broodiness. Please. Any ideas are appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I read something after googling last week about holding the bird upside down and slowly pushing all the fluid out and then feeding yogurt. My RLW seemed to have had it too badly by the size so I culled her Saturday...hope you caught yours sooner and there was a warning about getting the fluid out that way, too...good luck!

Thank you. We just tried feeding water and yogurt from an eyedropper and scrambled egg from hand but still not hungry. We have her in a dog crate in the house on newspaper with egg and water. The noises she makes just break you heart.

Please please help. We can't lose Olympia.

I'm a bit new to chickens but I have been doing a ton of reading this week. I read about dripping some oil down their beak and gently massaging it down, or holding them upside down and gently massaging it up into their mouth. I think either way getting movement and getting it out of the crop is the key and I think the oil helps loosen/lube/break it up.
You will have to look up what kind of oil is ok (veg, olive, or what?), I dont want to say something that is not safe if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Good luck! Hope she gets better soon!

Thank you. We held her upside down and massaged her crop to make her "vomit" and a whole bunch of yucky fluid came out. Poor girl seems much better now.

hope that does the trick. poor girl! Glad she's feeling much better now
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom