Sour crop support needed

I am not sure if the wine thing is working or not for me but the poop thing is not a problem. That has been every day even though she has not had anything to eat now for 48 hours. She still has a large swollen chest but is not any where near as large as it was a week ago when this problem started and the sour smell has gone away. I am just not sure what do do from here. I am giving the wine another 24 hours to work. I did get the whole 3cc's down her this time and I will wait until tomorrow morning to start feeding her. I have yogurt and I will scramble an egg for her to add to it or maysbe some thin oatmeal. Not sure what would be best. If anyone can give me some ideas then let me know.

LAmpreyGirls: So sorry to hear that your hen is not getting better. I'm worried myself that my pullet's crop got stretched out. I haven't tried molasses yet. I learned yeast infections are often associated with sour crop and have been staying away from simple carbohydrates.

Ipana: I appreciate your response! I think I will give the wine a try. But how do you get 3 cc into an unwilling patient?

cnj-tx50: I think it is essential to get the crop empty. I have been emptying my chicken’s crop by her puke by tipping her forward and massaging her crop. The result varies and it may take several attempts to get everything out. I have heard concern over this method. Apparently there is a risk of suffocation. The other and probably more controlled method is flushing the crop via a tube inserted into the esophagus. I’m not familiar with the latter.

It was not easy to get the wine in her the second time around. Today I had my daughter in law help me and was able to have her hold the hen and I was able to pry her beak open and place the syringe in a slowly push some into her. I only did 1 cc at a time and allowed to swollow and rest a bit. I am still withhold water and food. Unsure if I should withhold water until tomorrow or not. Hoping someone reads and advises. I am more concerned about the water than the food although she has not had any food since Sunday morning and she is very hungry and not very happy. I am amazed that she is still pooping. Where is it coming from?

I would not withhold water. It seems that is an essential for everything. JMHO

cnj-tx50, sounds like your hen has the same problem ours has. We haven't been able to empty her crop. She probably has an obstruction we can't feel. I'd keep the water going too. Have you tried molasses water? It acts like a laxative. Google it for more info. Our hen is an australorp and I'm wondering if this breed is susceptible to this condition. Does anyone know? They are so nice to have around. Since ours isn't eating much and just hanging on we'll cull her tomorrow to take her out of her misery.
We also read that yeast infections can be treated with nystatin and you'd have to research that more and find a vet to give that.
Good luck - we haven't had much with our Aussie.
sad.png

My hen is an Australorp, too. If you want to keep her and are willing to do the surgery yourself, it may be worth the try. I read about it either on this board or another...google "sour crop" and it will be there. The surgery didn't really seem too difficult and, in fact, I was ready to give that a try if nothing else worked. I figured that if that was the last chance to save my little friend, I would do it. From the description of the surgery given, it did not appear that it was difficult for the hen or for the "surgeon." If she wasn't going to make it, this would've at least given her a chance. If you can't find it, post again that you want to know more and I'll look for it. It was on a poultry site of some kind, I'm sure.

OK...here it is...from www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t-3781

it is post #6 on November 24, 2007

There are other ideas listed on this site, too, so maybe something will pop out at you and may work. Hang in there!

The above link does not work.
I had a chicken with swollen crop and I did the surgery. Was pretty easy as long as you have another person holding the bird. Bird survived two months and then died. Don't know if they were related but I had to try something. I was amazed at how much grass, etc. was stuck in there.

You can call this number(410-546-6137) to speak to Peter Brown , he's know as the 'chicken doctor' . He owns "First State Vet. Supply" and does "consultations" with people who have problems with chickens that can not find a remedy for .

He has helped a lot of people that had no where else to turn . They are open 24/7 and i hope he is availiable for you .

Give Them A Call
Shannon

Quote:

Well Little Miss seemed a little better tonight when I put her to bed. The crop feels like it was normal for bedtime. It did not feel squishy but firm but could still fell softness. I did put water in with her but not much, a small dish with about 4 tablespoons. She is so fiesty and mad at me! I am hoping that I will be able to start her on some sort of food tomorrow.

Thanks upthecreek for the number for this guy. I feel like I may be getting to the point of having to try something else. But I am really hoping that tomorrow will be much better. Will keep you posted.

It's my understanding that sour crop has to do with fermentation of grain or vegetation left in the crop and the crop having the wrong pH for proper digestion. The bird ends up burping gas given off by the fermenting goo in her crop, the squishy enlargement comes from the gastric juices flooding the area to try to digest the food, etc. Giving ACV (or sour wine) re-acidifies the crop to create the correct pH for enzymes to work in breaking down the vegetable matter in the crop. So, while experiencing sour crop, the bird should not be given any grain or tough vegetation until the crop is normal because it will only feed the bacteria causing the fermentation in the crop. No bread, mash, grain, greens, cabbage, etc. Also nothing sweet or with sugar, which also feeds fermentation. But soft protein like yogurt, scrambled egg, and such can be fed in small quantities to keep up strength. Bread with oil helps with an IMPACTED crop, which is a different problem (but can lead to sour crop.) An impacted crop is a buildup of undigestible matter like stringy hay or wood shavings that hardens the crop. The oil and massaging can help loosen the mass and get it to pass. Hens with sour crop usually still poop because food moves sluggishly in the enlarged crop, those with an impaction stop pooping because food isn't moving through the crop at all. An impaction sometimes requires surgery to clean out the crop. (Do it yourself is possible.)

Back
Top Bottom