Sour Crop / Vent Gleet or... ?

whynotluna

Hatching
May 18, 2020
About 4 months ago my 1.5 year old Golden Comet hen started losing feathers on her behind and her remaining feathers were often soiled with diarrhea that would come and go - I bathed her when she was dirty and kept an eye on the other two but didn't treat her for any diseases. Because of the bleeding sores on her butt I thought she was simply being pecked by the two leghorns.... Now I know that wasn't it. The feathers never grew back and she still has diarrhea now and then. The reason I haven't treated her up to this point is because she acts, looks, eats and lays as normal. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago I discovered a large and squishy crop. Separated her, no food for 24 hours and then fed her yoghurt/scrambled egg/garlic for 3-4 days until her crop was emptying overnight. At that stage she made some very green poop. Now she has a squishy crop again, but I'm wondering if her behind has something to do with it.... See photos - is this vent gleet? Ringworm? So both her behind and her crop are a problem, but she doesn't have sour breath, her poop doesn't smell nasty and she behaves as normal as ever. Today I bathed her and applied antifungal cream to the bum and have her isolated in the run (while the others free range) on a diet of live yoghurt/garlic/scrambled egg. Other than the diarrhea on and off her poop is normal. I used to put ACV in their water all the time but stopped since the first sour crop alarm because I read on this forum that it can cause sour crop. I feed them organic layer pellets and a handful of grain at dusk. They free range most of the day and like to scratch around in the compost heap. It's my first run with chickens and the other two are perfectly fine. Any help/advice/resources appreciated - feeling desperate and vet is not an option.
IMG_20200518_175024483.jpg
IMG_20200518_175015338.jpg
IMG_20200424_171308737.jpg
IMG_20200429_200736242.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Is a vet an option? I ask because I think your hen might have an infection.
Tha k you for your kind reply. Sadly vet not an option - just lost my job. I have an animal feed store nearby, that's it. Can you tell me a little more about what you're thinking?

After a lot of reading around the board, there seems to be a connection to runny green poop and bacterial infection. I would search the boards. A lot of people end up treating their birds with medication, I couldn't tell you what though. Everyone seems to just do everything until their bird gets better.

Back
Top Bottom