Sour crop?

a320727

Chirping
Mar 18, 2020
I too am dealing with a 6 month old chicken that appears to have sour crop but I am not sure. All she wants to do is roost. I am on day 4 I have not seen her eat or drink I dipped her Beak in water yesterday but she just wants to roost that's it. I am getting really worried I need to know should I make her drink? I am pretty sure she laid an egg yesterday as she went in the Box but went right back to the roost. After 4 days I am afraid I am going to lose her. Her crop feels very watery most of the time and I do massage it every hour. I don't think she would eat food or grit so now what do I do?

I too am dealing with a 6 month old chicken that appears to have sour crop but I am not sure. All she wants to do is roost. I am on day 4 I have not seen her eat or drink I dipped her Beak in water yesterday but she just wants to roost that's it. I am getting really worried I need to know should I make her drink? I am pretty sure she laid an egg yesterday as she went in the Box but went right back to the roost. After 4 days I am afraid I am going to lose her. Her crop feels very watery most of the time and I do massage it every hour. I don't think she would eat food or grit so now what do I do?
The crop may be sour if it's watery. This link will help you with treatment https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm not a fan of separating birds, but sometimes it's necessary so you can monitor them more closely and provide them with their own food/water. A dog kennel lined with puppy pads works well, you can get a good look at poop too.
I would first see if she will drink on her own once you have her separated. It will be tricky and could be risky syringing or tubing fluids into a bird if they have a watery/fluid filled crop.

How many pullets do you have and is there a cockerel too? Do you notice if she's being picked at?
Photos of her and her poop would be good too.

I have 32 pullets 3 roosters. 2 of those roosters are young and only go for the ones in their batch. She has been isolated for 4 days in the coop. None recently have picked on her and her feathers look good. She will not drink water. I am waiting for poop as all is clean under her. I have 3 separate areas in the coop so she is not around any aggressive chickens. She normally is free range so should have plenty of grit.
20201208_110446.jpg
20201208_110512.jpg
20201208_110800.jpg

You wanted picture of stool. I got her to drink eater, peck around the coop for a minute. Then hrs later I massaged again and she threw up water like liquid. She did this yesterday as well. Then she went back to roost. I have coconut oil freezing and if not better tomorrow will try.

I read the article and will try massaging upwards and also try the coconut oil.
You wanted picture of stool. I got her to drink eater, peck around the coop for a minute. Then hrs later I massaged again and she threw up water like liquid. She did this yesterday as well. Then she went back to roost. I have coconut oil freezing and if not better tomorrow will try.
I would try treating for crop issues like you are doing. You may find that you need to treat as sour crop too. Looks like not much is going through her and the throwing up liquid I suspect she may have an impaction or blockage, but it's always hard to know.
Consider getting a fecal float to see if worms or Coccidiosis are an issue as well.

Thanks. She is off the roost this morning and drinking water. I made her some scrambled soft eggs with coconut oil and yogurt on the side. Will see if she eats it! I sure don't want her having the Coccidiosis! My other chicks would be sick i think and they're not. Thanks Wyorp for responding. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom