Sour Crop

Chelie97

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
I have had chickens for almost 4 years never dealt with sour crop before. I have 4 year old golden comet that has sour crop its not hard so its not impacted it feels like dough. On Wednesday she laid a soft sell egg( which I call it an accident). Which is normal for her for maybe the last 3 or 4 months a soft sell here and there not daily and non of my other hens are. So Wednesday she was off but after a shellless egg is normal we gave her some yogurt and extra love. On Thursday she was still off so we gave her some probiotic in water some oregano and cinnamon in yogurt. On day 3 I went back o check on her in morning and she was acting more staring and not really walking around so I picked her up(morning time) and I noticed her crop was full so I turned to forums. I have made her barf a little I have given coconut oil and nice massage and a little garlic on water her come yips aren’t purple/ blue anymore but still droopy. She has done 3 explosive Diarrheas since last night. This morning crop is still full. How long till improvement and is there anything else I should do. She is getting older oh and crop isn’t sagging.

Sounds like she's starting to have some reproductive issues.
Crop problems often accompany these issues. If the crop is doughy, then I would continue to give the coconut oil. You can also give an anti-fungal/yeast cream to see if that helps.
See if giving her extra calcium (1 Caltrate with D3) for 3-5 days helps with the soft shelled eggs. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not - it just depends on what's going on.

This article is one of the best I've found and I use it to treat my hens when they start having issues. Give it a read and keep us posted on how your hen is doing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sounds like she's starting to have some reproductive issues.
Crop problems often accompany these issues. If the crop is doughy, then I would continue to give the coconut oil. You can also give an anti-fungal/yeast cream to see if that helps.
See if giving her extra calcium (1 Caltrate with D3) for 3-5 days helps with the soft shelled eggs. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not - it just depends on what's going on.

This article is one of the best I've found and I use it to treat my hens when they start having issues. Give it a read and keep us posted on how your hen is doing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I have read that post also and I made the bra. For her I think her crop is smaller but unsure. I have also been spoon feeding her the water every couple of hours. I find placing the tip of her beak in the water on a spoon she will drink a little. Thanks for the article.

This morning when I checked her she is much the same her crop is still full but her comb is bluish purple on the tips so circulation issues now. She makes me so sad. She is only pooping twice a day and its water and smells so bad.

That doesn't sound very good:(
If you feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs is she bloated or does it feel tight with fluid?
I just went and felt feels full maybe fluid squishy by not like her crop. She clearly didn’t like it maybe it hurt her even though i was gentle

To give you an update she just passed did a evacuated her system did a couple last jolts and died in my daughter’s arms. A sad day in my household. Thanks for your response and trying to help me

Back
Top Bottom