Sour Crop??

lousybird

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
I suspect my black astralorp has sour crop since the crop doesn't fully empty in the morning and is squishy. She also has some gurgling sounds coming from her body and she vomits clear liquid especially when I massage her crop. However, there is no smell coming from her beak. She also lays eggs almost everyday. Though I'm not positive if it's sour crop or not, I don't think the treatment will give her harm.
I am planning to treat her crop tomorrow by feeding her a lot of plain yogurt with raw oatmeal and layer pellets. I am also planning to give her cranberries since I heard it helps with yeast infections and is not bad for chickens.

I suspect my black astralorp has sour crop since the crop doesn't fully empty in the morning and is squishy. She also has some gurgling sounds coming from her body and she vomits clear liquid especially when I massage her crop. However, there is no smell coming from her beak. She also lays eggs almost everyday. Though I'm not positive if it's sour crop or not, I don't think the treatment will give her harm.
I am planning to treat her crop tomorrow by feeding her a lot of plain yogurt with raw oatmeal and layer pellets. I am also planning to give her cranberries since I heard it helps with yeast infections and is not bad for chickens.
Don’t feed her anything at all.... the crop is impacted and the food will not go down. Esp do NOT give oats - carbs are the enemy right now as they feed yeast infections. If you can’t smell anything, it hasn’t soured yet. But giving more food is pointless until the impaction is gone. Someone wrote and awesome article of sour crop, but the first step is to stop feeding immediately and give water only until you can really assess the situation.

Don’t feed her anything at all.... the crop is impacted and the food will not go down. Esp do NOT give oats - carbs are the enemy right now as they feed yeast infections. If you can’t smell anything, it hasn’t soured yet. But giving more food is pointless until the impaction is gone. Someone wrote and awesome article of sour crop, but the first step is to stop feeding immediately and give water only until you can really assess the situation.
Okay, should I just feed her water and nothing else? If so, how long and what should I do after that

Sour crop can be difficult to treat. Sometimes it can be treated successfully and other times the problem never resolves itself regardless of the treatments given.

I recently had a pullet with an enlarged crop. It was huge and squishy and would not go down over night. It had not yet soured when I discovered it. I did not remove the hen from the flock and let her eat crumble with the rest of the flock. I gave her a mixture of plain yogurt and olive oil (which she enjoyed) and massaged her crop immediately after feeding her the mixture. I also massaged the crop in the morning when I checked on her. After about three days of this treatment, the crop emptied completely and she has been fine ever since.

Best of luck with your hen! I hope some treatment will work for her.

Last edited:
Your poor hen, what happened in the end? Just wondering because I've never had sour crop in my whole 13 yrs of chickens and I would like to know more about it.

Back
Top Bottom