Sour Crop

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
So my chicken(Brahma Mama) who first showed signs of Dry pox now is showing signs of sour crop. I had a pullet with sour crop last yr. I had to withhold food and stuff and treated with monistat cream and within a couple days she was ok. But I dont remember how much of the cream I give her and idr if I withhold water as well? Looking for some help! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

These are the methods I use when treating a crop issues.
Never withhold water during waking hours. I rarely ever withhold food either.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her crop sounds like and feels like its full of air? I don’t remember my other chicken I treated for sour crop with this symptom. What is this? When u push on it air comes out and it feels like a balloon?! I cant find a straight answer and I’m worried about her she doesn't look good!

How old is she?
When you push the crop it sounds like a burp/air or does she have and air filled area that is not her crop?

With Sour Crop, the crop can have some air, but if lightly pressed it can sound like a burp. Or that's what I've experienced with one of my hens.

It sounded like air. I did exactly as I read. She puked and passed away. She was 3yr old.

I was just with her checked on her 10mins later and she was gone:hitshe didn’t puke clear liquid like my one hen. I saw the puke under her when I found her and it looked almost like mash.

I cant help but Feel like I caused it! I put her food back in and water she ate drank and puked then died.

Oh man.. like impacted crop? Isn't that usually treated with giving bits of bread soaked in olive oil or balls of coconut oil and massaging their crops?
Impacted crop, digestive system and/or gizzard - maybe a blockage somewhere.

No, I wouldn't treat a blockage with bread and olive oil. I'd treat according to the article I linked previously. I've used coconut oil and stool softener to help get things moving when I suspected a blockage. A molasses flush may help if those 2 things don't work.

Here's the deal. A crop problem fall under several of those categories in the articles, blogs, etc. that you read. A crop can be sour, but still be impacted. There can be a blockage or partial blockage and the crop be doughy or sour...see what I mean. It can be a multi-layered issue.
Ime, a crop issue is usually a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive problems like cancer, internal laying, etc., worms, Coccidiosis and/or infection - these seem to be conditions that accompany a crop issue.

Impacted crop, digestive system and/or gizzard - maybe a blockage somewhere.

No, I wouldn't treat a blockage with bread and olive oil. I'd treat according to the article I linked previously. I've used coconut oil and stool softener to help get things moving when I suspected a blockage. A molasses flush may help if those 2 things don't work.

Here's the deal. A crop problem fall under several of those categories in the articles, blogs, etc. that you read. A crop can be sour, but still be impacted. There can be a blockage or partial blockage and the crop be doughy or sour...see what I mean. It can be a multi-layered issue.
Ime, a crop issue is usually a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive problems like cancer, internal laying, etc., worms, Coccidiosis and/or infection - these seem to be conditions that accompany a crop issue.
Ohh ok got cha. I have Marek’s in my flock and this is one that had Dry Pox. Could any of these cause that as well? Im just confused. She was ok and just died within 10mins!

Back
Top Bottom