Sour Crop!

Janealiene

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2023
I’m new to raising chickens - I’ve had them for 2 years and have had no issues - until now. Yesterday, I discovered my Silkie had sour crop - someone told me about this group and I immediately was helped by several people. My girl is still alive. I prayed she would make it through the night and she did. Today I’ve been feeding her yogurt and boiled egg and giving her water with a syringe. Her crop has not accumulated more liquid (we got that out yesterday) and she has been pooping today (she didn’t at all yesterday) - I’m wondering when I should let her eat again - or how long should I keep doing eggs and yogurt. Her crop will fill with air and when I massage it, she burps and it smells horrible. I guess I’m wondering how long will it be before she feels better - or is my poor hen not going to recover from this? Thanks for any input ❤️

Can she drink on her own?
I'd let her eat some wet feed is she's willing.

Treat sour crop with an anti-fungal/yeast medication like Nystatin, Miconazole or Clotrimazole.
Is she pooping?
When was her last egg?
Crop problems are often a symptom of an underlying condition, can you get a fecal float to rule out worms and coccidiosis? Reproductive disorders and infection are often a cause of a crop to slow and become sour as well.

I highly recommend that you read the article below to get more details on treating the crop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can she drink on her own?
I'd let her eat some wet feed is she's willing.

Treat sour crop with an anti-fungal/yeast medication like Nystatin, Miconazole or Clotrimazole.
Is she pooping?
When was her last egg?
Crop problems are often a symptom of an underlying condition, can you get a fecal float to rule out worms and coccidiosis? Reproductive disorders and infection are often a cause of a crop to slow and become sour as well.

I highly recommend that you read the article below to get more details on treating the crop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hi!
She is not drinking in her own - she is pooping - her crop was full of air again this morning - so I massaged it out. I’m still just feeding her scrambled eggs and yogurt. I did send her fecal out Friday - I’ll know the results on Monday. How do you give the chicken monistat?

Thanks for all your help!

"""Treatment for sour crop
I advise against trying to make your chicken vomit because it may cause them to aspirate the sour liquid. Besides, it's very unpleasant for your hen, and she may hate you if you do it. (Curiously, most sour crop victims are hens.)

Nystatin is the best treatment for yeast infections, but it requires a prescription. Or you can try to locate medistatin which is for birds and doesn't require a prescription.

The easiest (and cheapest) to obtain yeast treatment, though, is miconazole, found on the women's hygiene shelf in the pharmacy. You can use either the suppositories or the vaginal cream. Measure a quarter inch of suppository or about half an inch of cream and give orally twice a day for seven days. Do not stop treatment before the full seven days are completed or the yeast may return.

You may see different strengths of miconazole, 2% or 4%, and wonder which to get. Either strength is fine. I prefer the 2% cream myself for economic reasons. The treatment with either strength is the same, twice and day for a full seven days.

Following treatment for sour crop, offer plenty of plain fresh water and boiled egg to get the crop operating again. I like to also give a probiotic or Greek yogurt to restore good microbes in crop and intestines."""

I’m new to raising chickens - I’ve had them for 2 years and have had no issues - until now. Yesterday, I discovered my Silkie had sour crop - someone told me about this group and I immediately was helped by several people. My girl is still alive. I prayed she would make it through the night and she did. Today I’ve been feeding her yogurt and boiled egg and giving her water with a syringe. Her crop has not accumulated more liquid (we got that out yesterday) and she has been pooping today (she didn’t at all yesterday) - I’m wondering when I should let her eat again - or how long should I keep doing eggs and yogurt. Her crop will fill with air and when I massage it, she burps and it smells horrible. I guess I’m wondering how long will it be before she feels better - or is my poor hen not going to recover from this? Thanks for any input ❤️
I highly recommend following advice from @Wyorp Rock . I did and saved my sweet hen Cleo from sour crop last year. Best luck.

Back
Top Bottom