Sour crop?

Terrie Mac

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
My 1 yr old hen was fine yesterday, but today I found her listless, tail down, and with runny droppings. I brought her into the house. Now she seems to be laboring in her breathing and won’t lie down even though she is sleepy. I’m pretty sure she laid an egg today so I don’t think she is egg bound. Her crop does feel large and squishy so maybe it’s sour crop? I don’t smell any odor though.
Can sour crop cause such distress so suddenly? Does this sound typical? I removed all food except for a little yogurt but she is not eating, only drinking water (with AVC). I’ve massaged her crop a number of times as well.
She lives in a protected coop and run and only eats what I feed her. I hate to see her suffer. Anything else I can do?

How is she this morning? Was the crop full first thing this morning? I would keep her separated for today and monitor her eating. If she is eating, make sure she only eats her layer feed. Dampen it so it digests quicker. Yogurt is good for her and the healthy bacteria.

If she does in fact have a full crop this morning, lean her forward, beak down and massage the crop to vomit all that gunk out of it. Only lean her forward like this for about 6 to 8 seconds so she can breathe.

You might want to put ACV in her water to help with digestion and possible yeast growth in the crop. 3 tablespoons of ACV to one gallon in the water. If you have any probiotics, you can put some in her feed.

If she does not have a sour crop, but diarrhea, she may need wormed. She could also possibly have some internal issue.

Keep us posted.

Peanut's crop seems to have emptied and she ate a few bites of yogurt. She is still very tired and her tail is still drooping but shes not breathing heavily anymore. Peanut is usually very rowdy and loud but she remains quiet.
Is this typical of a sour crop?

she is still so listless and sick. Can I put some honey in her water? It already has AVC but I thought she might need something else to give her a little energy. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom