Sour Crop!!

lsmoondancer

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Hello,
We just discovered one of our hens wasn't behaving like her normal self. She was very lethargic, quiet, drinking lots of water & hardly made a peep when I caught her to check her out (she would normally freak out). Her vent looks fine, a little red at the top, so I don't think she's egg bound. Her chest is extremely puffy & squishy, almost like a water balloon. I noticed fresh egg yolk in the nest box this afternoon & when we went to fill a feeder for her (she's now in quarantine) we found the bag of layer pellets was moldy!! I'm not a vet but it sound like it could be sour crop. I've seen people post on other threads here that they cleaned out/emptied the crop before treating the hen with nystatin or other yeast infection treatments. Perhaps I should be ashamed to admit this, but I don't know the first thing about cleaning out a hens crop, how to do it & how to give the nystatin. is it given orally? I can try yogurt for the moment. I'm also removing her feed because I fear heavy food & grains will make it worse. Please help if anyone can!

Update: Ok, so I did some frenzied research because I couldn't just sit and do nothing. Thanks to another thread on here as well as a post on the Chicken Chick, I figured out how to clean out her (Biscuit, my sick hen) crop. At first it seemed like nothing was happening and I didn't want to keep her upside down for too long, so I gently put her down. Well, when I did, she jumped and fluttered & threw up all over me, lol! Nothing black, oozing or scary looking (as I was anticipating given what I had read about sour crop). It looked like water & crumbles but boy did it smell sour & yeasty:( Hopefully that helps a bit, along with the yogurt and applesauce I gave her. I'll add some baking soda to her water in the morning and try to get a hold of some nystatin or something of the sort. My guess is the bag of moldy food and her getting sick suddenly was no coincidence, but she could've also eaten some shavings if she ate any of the broken egg in the nest box.

Update: Ok, so I did some frenzied research because I couldn't just sit and do nothing. Thanks to another thread on here as well as a post on the Chicken Chick, I figured out how to clean out her (Biscuit, my sick hen) crop. At first it seemed like nothing was happening and I didn't want to keep her upside down for too long, so I gently put her down. Well, when I did, she jumped and fluttered & threw up all over me, lol! Nothing black, oozing or scary looking (as I was anticipating given what I had read about sour crop). It looked like water & crumbles but boy did it smell sour & yeasty:( Hopefully that helps a bit, along with the yogurt and applesauce I gave her. I'll add some baking soda to her water in the morning and try to get a hold of some nystatin or something of the sort. My guess is the bag of moldy food and her getting sick suddenly was no coincidence, but she could've also eaten some shavings if she ate any of the broken egg in the nest box.

If you can't find nystatin, you can use Monistat suppositories or cream.... I used the cream and it cured it..... Also plain yogurt is good.... It's scarey making them throw up... Hope she gets better:)

If you can't find nystatin, you can use Monistat suppositories or cream.... I used the cream and it cured it..... Also plain yogurt is good.... It's scarey making them throw up... Hope she gets better:)

Thanks, birdlady79. I checked on her this morning & there was an awful, sour smelly mess on top of the crate I had put in with her so she could "nest". I'm not sure from which end it came, but judging by the smell, it's a good sign that she's on the mend. I called the vet to ask for a prescription, but the chicken vet is out til next week & they may not be cooperative. How did you give/treat your chickens with Monistat cream or suppositories for sour crop? This may be a dumb question, but I have no idea if it's safe to give it orally or if it's effective just applied topically (& if so, where)...

Thanks, birdlady79. I checked on her this morning & there was an awful, sour smelly mess on top of the crate I had put in with her so she could "nest". I'm not sure from which end it came, but judging by the smell, it's a good sign that she's on the mend. I called the vet to ask for a prescription, but the chicken vet is out til next week & they may not be cooperative. How did you give/treat your chickens with Monistat cream or suppositories for sour crop? This may be a dumb question, but I have no idea if it's safe to give it orally or if it's effective just applied topically (& if so, where)...

You have to give orally.... I used cream ... There's threads on here about dosage for Monistat.... I don't know how to post the links :(.... With the suppository, you cut in 3rds and give 1 piece 2x a day, I think... Make sure you search it bf you medicate.....

How did your chicken come out of sour crop?/ I had 3 this past week but with massaging theyre necks and taking all treats away they are now better. I guess I was feeding them too many treats...wheat, popcorn etc. I'm only feeding them laying scratch now and they are better!

You have to give orally.... I used cream ... There's threads on here about dosage for Monistat.... I don't know how to post the links
sad.png
.... With the suppository, you cut in 3rds and give 1 piece 2x a day, I think... Make sure you search it bf you medicate.....

Thank you, I was going to look it up on here anyways. I figured there might be a previous post about it, I just didn't have any chance to do so today. I did pick up some Monistat 7 on my way home from work this evening so I'll give her some tomorrow after I find the dosage thread. There was a whole lot of blackish mess in her pen when I got home, more than I could've ever imagined possible coming from one bird, but she also seemed to be feeling better & the puffiness in her crop has gone down. Thanks again for all of your help!

Thank you, I was going to look it up on here anyways. I figured there might be a previous post about it, I just didn't have any chance to do so today. I did pick up some Monistat 7 on my way home from work this evening so I'll give her some tomorrow after I find the dosage thread. There was a whole lot of blackish mess in her pen when I got home, more than I could've ever imagined possible coming from one bird, but she also seemed to be feeling better & the puffiness in her crop has gone down. Thanks again for all of your help!

Your very welcome!! I hope your girl gets better....

Back
Top Bottom