Source For Adding a Few Hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Salt and Light, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I want to add a couple hens to my stock but am unsure where to find a source. Do I just go to the feed store? I've always read that introducing chicks from outside sources may cause disease problems. Of course, I don't breed any chickens so they all come from some type of outside source, i.e. the hatchery.

R

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It kind of depends on what you already have. If you have full grown hens, it can be tricky adding younger birds. I have done some looking on craigslist, and local paper, and really buying full or nearly full size hens makes integration easier with an established flock. Then add them at night, and keep an eye on them for a day or so, but mainly let them work it out.

If you get chicks you about have to have a seperate set of facilities to grow them up, the older hens will peck on them and could even kill them.

Mrs.K

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I would recommend getting day old chicks or eggs to hatch - you have a much lower risk of disease that way. If you do decide to get mature birds, make sure you quarantine them for a MINIMUM of 30 days before you introduce them to your flock. There have been a lot of stories on here of people having the cull their whole flock because of short quarantine times. There are also several diseases that the birds can be an asymptomatic carrier, but will cause large scale death and destruction of your flock.

That said, Craigslist is usually a really good place to pick up mature birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by