Source for Rangers / CornishX Chicks

Meyers... You're doing meat chickens! I'm excited to see your results
Doing CornishX, Rangers and Bresse. Want to compare meat quality, foraging / ranging, and hoping to keep a few rangers to try breeding to see if I can self sustain and not have to reorder. I already have a few bresse that I'm hoping to incubate eggs from in the spring. And yes - you convinced me to get an incubator. (looking at craigslist first...I've got time!)
Thanks for all the advise you've offered.

I bought my dual purpose chicks from meyer last year. They were great.

Anyone have experience with freedom ranger hatchery? They have better pricing on the rangers.

Doing CornishX, Rangers and Bresse. Want to compare meat quality, foraging / ranging, and hoping to keep a few rangers to try breeding to see if I can self sustain and not have to reorder. I already have a few bresse that I'm hoping to incubate eggs from in the spring. And yes - you convinced me to get an incubator. (looking at craigslist first...I've got time!)
Thanks for all the advise you've offered.

I bought my dual purpose chicks from meyer last year. They were great.

Anyone have experience with freedom ranger hatchery? They have better pricing on the rangers.
Awesome! I still haven't decided when I'm butchering my crosses. They're huge right now, but not big enough yet

I have had no issues or any losses with the chicks I received from Moyers out of PA. I believe they are also one of the closest hatcheries to us also.
Where are you sourcing your Bresse from?
I purchased 3 Bresse chicks from Greenfire. Not cheap - but as I'm in experiment mode, I'm willing to spend a little so I can learn. I ended up with 2 cockerels and 1 pullet. They are separated right now, but 1 of the cockerels will go in the freezer, and 1 will go towards a flock I will ry to raise. I have tasted Bresse in France years ago, and it really was incredible. Hoping I can replicate that on my own. I will let you know!

I purchased 3 Bresse chicks from Greenfire. Not cheap - but as I'm in experiment mode, I'm willing to spend a little so I can learn. I ended up with 2 cockerels and 1 pullet. They are separated right now, but 1 of the cockerels will go in the freezer, and 1 will go towards a flock I will ry to raise. I have tasted Bresse in France years ago, and it really was incredible. Hoping I can replicate that on my own. I will let you know!
Of the strictly meat birds I've raised I've had Freedom Ranger hatchery birds 3 times and I was happy with them. Off and on I've had Cornish X many times over the course of 60 years.

I understand the interest in the Bresse. I raise another of the breeds famous for the flavor of the meat. The Black Penedesenca.
I think there are several variables needed to achieve the flavor of their native country.
The soil makeup of the home range, free ranging on that soil and overall feeding and management as well as the culinary skill applied. Improper cooking can ruin a perfect Maine lobster, squid or venison steak.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom