Sourcing feed questions - sprouting/fermenting and snacks

Pgoldston83

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2020
I apologize upfront, I'm sure there is a link or a perfect thread on this but i cant seem to find it. I have spent the last 2 days trying to find what I am looking for and cant seem to do so.

I am looking on brand, type and sourcing for feed to ferment amd sprouting. I have read whole grain but cant find a brand to compare to. I have tried to source barely seed for sprouting and fodder but no one locally has it in or around valdosta va. I have called no less than 10 feed stores.

Getting to the point of just trying to order online but I dont know what is a decent price for a 50lbs bag of fermenting feed and sprouting feed. I have seen scratch and peck but its 75 dollars for a 50 pound bag. Just seems really high.

I'm new and trying to keep cost at bay starting out while we get setup to to free ranging them next year. Thanks for any direction.

you should definitely be able to find barley seed in Virginia. You need to check seed companies, not feed stores. There are seed companies that specialize in field and cover crops. Try looking for some of these places. Wheat would also be good for sprouting.

It's supposed to be valdosta ga
Oh sorry. If you are in a rural area of gerogia, you may still be able to find a seed company that has what you need. You don't have to have whole grains to ferment feed, but obviously you do if you want to sprout fodder. :thumbsup

Worst case, you can sprout in mason jars if your flock is not huge.
There are several seed places online that offer a 'chicken forage mix' that you can look into.

Back
Top Bottom