Sourcream Pound Cake

sewingca

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I lost a favorite hen this morning. I had a few of her jumbo size eggs in the fridge and several really small new eggs. I don't know who has started laying as all my kids are young. So, I'm making my family's favorite recipe and thought I would share it with you. Caroline

Grandma Allmond’s Sourcream Pound Cake

In a 2 cup liquid measure, place 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream and stir in ½ tsp baking soda. The mixture will proof and lighten the sour cream.

In a mixing bowl:

Cream – 2 sticks butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar

Add - 6 eggs, room temperature (one at a time, beating well after each)

Add – 3 cups all purpose flour alternately with the sour cream mixture

The secret to this cake is in the thorough mixing – beat and beat and beat before adding the flour and sour cream. Blend these just until incorporated, scrape real well; then a quick fast stir. Bake at 300 degrees for 1½ hrs. Makes one very large round cake or two large loaves or three small loaves.

Grandma Loyce Allmond would make this cake in loaves and freeze to serve to unexpected company. She usually had sugared peaches from Georgia in the freezer as well.

My grandmother had a sour cream pound cake that was so wonderful. I have been trying as many as I can find hoping one of them was hers. She used her old milk green coffee cups for measuring cups, and did everything by feel. Thank you for sharing this with us!
I know it is difficult to lose a friend, and a friend with whopper eggs will be sorely missed!
hugs.gif

All my friends beg for this recipe, so I know you will like it. Like any mama, I'm trying to figure out how I could have done something differently for my girl. I really appreciate your expressions of sympathy. Caroline

ok, this is AMAZING!
My daughter made it last night, every crumb is gone this morning.
I have never been very good at baking, we don't really eat sweets in my house so I get very little pratice . . . so maybe we did something wrong, but the texture was very interesting (delicously interesting) . . . more like what I would call a sponge cake (although I have never had a sponge cake) what I would assume one to be like, not like pound cakes I have had before.
I can see where it would lend itself well to peaches or strawberries.
Definately going into our permanent file, THANK YOU for sharing!
Katy

b.hromada :

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet hen.
hugs.gif
I know it hurts. I must try your pound cake, it sounds so delicious. I'm sure your hen would be most proud you used her eggs for your grandma's cake.
thumbsup.gif

That is exactly what I was going to say! As soon as I finish looking at this board I have promised myself I WILL get up and make that pound cake. I have some raspberries in the freezer from last summer and it will be the perfect ending to my dinner tonight. THANKS! Terri O​

Back
Top Bottom