Sourdough Bread—It's Easy!

Wow!! We would like to go off the grid. Back to bread: Do you grind your own wheat? I have an old Magic Mill stone grinder for my wheat. It has a moter and a hand crank. I make about 3 loaves of whole wheat bread a week. Sometimes Red wheat and sometimes white wheat. I find the hard red wheat is better for bread bowls. I haven't amde much sour dough bread though. I'm anxious to try your recipe.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Yes, I grind all my own wheat as well as corn for my corn meal. Until you've had cornbread made from corn freshly ground to your specs you just haven't had cornbread! I make a Cornmeal Yeast Bread that's absolutely mouth watering....

cornmealyeastbread20.jpg

Slathered with butter of course!
smile.png

Last edited:
frugal, a friend of mine gave me a starter for sourdough bread many months ago. Now I have tried hers and loved it. Actually I have liked everyones that have brought me a loaf by but for the sakes of me, I cannot not get it too taste like their's or what I like. She and I make it sorta of like yours except, never heard about the grapes but will try that and in her recipe she uses yeast and all purpose flour. I cannot knead mine too look like yours and have tried many times but it doesn't want too stay together in places and it is not dry. Thanks for your post about the chicken and the bread. I remember momma killing chickens for Sunday dinner for all our family too get together after church. That was years ago.

Last edited:
Wow, I just have to say, you are doing an amazing job at being self-sufficient, and you are definitely someone I look up to, as I, and I'm sure many others, strive for the same lifestyle. What a beautiful, beautiful kitchen you have!

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words! They're always appreciated.

We sure are busy this time of year. We're in the middle of mud season and we've just finished our early lambing and kidding seasons. We're still sugaring, making our Maple Syrup and maple products however that's beginning to wind down as the daytime temps rise.

I have tables of starts getting ready for the green house and raised beds. And everything around the ranch needs some Springtime attention.

I have a blast homesteading but it sure wears me out!

smile.png

Frugal,
I LOVE your tutorial, and can't wait to bake up some bread - one question though, as you are preparing your starter for the 3 days, do you leave it out on the counter or in the fridge? Covered or sealed in a container? Do I feed it every day or just give it a stir to release the air bubbles?

A lot of questions, sorry!!! One more about keeping the starter going - after I take out what I need to make the sponge, and I replenish (feed) the rest with one cup water and one cup flour, does that go straight back into the fridge or sit out until it's nice and bubbly again?

A friend gave me a starter, and some instructions, but my attempt to keep it alive was a failed one....

I hope you post some ore recipes soon - the cornbread looks amazing too!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
When preparing the starter I leave it on the counter top stored in a canister with a loose fitting lid. The container you use should have enough room for the starter to expand. The room temperature while it sits on the counter helps the bacteria to work. It doesn't need to be fed during this time, just stirred down occasionally.

Once the starter is ready, I feed it one more time and refrigerate it in the canister. It should be ready to use in 2-3 days. From then on I only feed it after I take some out. I leave it at room temperature for half a day and then refrigerate it until the next time I use some. I then repeat the same feeding process.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions Frugal, that was EXACTLy the info I was looking for. Hopefully my attempt will be successful this time! Keep the great tutorials and recipes coming!

Started my bread today. I had too use the unbleached white flour too do mine though. Will let yall know if it works or even if I fail at the process.

the one thing I didnt notice in your directions, was the directions to your kitchen so we can eat... Very nice post, other than that
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom