South Carolina

Rhode Island Reds is all I have and lots of them in the young pullet range. You know where I am. and you had my number.if your intereasted

Y'all!!! I am so sad!!! I went out this morning and all 4 of my pullets were gone. It looked like the kids did not close the coop all the way last night. I called and called and only one of my babies has returned. I found evidence in the yard that does not bode well for at least one of the missing three. There is a huge owl that lives in a tree next door. I have gone to the hardware store and bought a huge lock that I can put a padlock on, so no more leaving the coop door open. My oldest confessed that he didn't remember shutting it all the way after he did the nightly treat feed. Absolutely no evidence of a creature invasion other than the door left open. I am sad. He is extremely upset. Looks like I am going to be in the market for 3 more birds. I am thinking Easter Egger, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and possibly a lavender or blue orpington. Anyone have any leads on some pullets??? Willing to drive a couple hours from Columbia.
sad.png

This can get into way too much detail to put in type. feel free to call me at 864-429-9019 You have the perfect setup to get perfect hatches. I get home after 4:30 in the afternoons. I can definately put you on the right track. and somewhere there is an " essay : I put up on the subject. but call me. I'll tell you what part of the books to throw away. and when to " wing it " to get you where you want to be Being " Too Careful," or " Too by the book " will kill more peeps then a coon in the hen house.
OK, I am looking for advice/insight/experiences/something...I have one styrofoam Hovobator with turner I incubate in that runs a steady 99-100 with good humidity. I pencil date my eggs and also mark a calendar and am careful on timing. I hardly open it till I need to move eggs to hatch. I have an LG styrofoam I transfer on day 18 to hatch. The LG runs a steady 100-101 and 65% humidity. When I transfer the eggs to hatch in the LG I do not open/fiddle until there are chicks dry (about 12-20 hours later) to remove them. I do candle during the "move" and see great development, good air sac, and movement.

My problem...I get maybe 40% hatch rate...and especially I have BB Ameraucana Roo over 2 Blue Splash Hens that have a great thick shell...these especially are difficult to hatch and I am so frustrated with my problem of getting great % of pipping out of these and then they just stop...they will rock just a little with noise/light stimulation...but just stop and die in shell...after 20-30 0r more hours of being pipped...Whats up??? I have tried "helping" after a day or two of them being pipped but this always ends terribly!!! I leave them also and eventually they just die with a great pip hole...not drowning and not shrink wrapping (until they lay there days at least)....any ideas?

This has went on for many hatches...so frustrating to get the babies this far to keep having these just quit.die at pip....
hu.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

Good morning. I've been busy with physical therapy and trying to keep up with my bees. Bees have been neglected some for the past 6 weeks.
hide.gif

We (mostly dh
love.gif
) have been building a silkie breeder pen too. I will be selling some buff silkies PQ if anyone is interested.

I also have 3 buff orpington pullets 18 wks old for sale----$25 for all 3.

Have a good day and enjoy this cooler weather.

I have had a guinea setting on 2 eggs in a corner of the guinea coop. I left 2 old dirty eggs that I was sure would not hatch. I have been pulling the fresh eggs out everyday. She has been off the nest for half a day at a time. Was I ever shocked to walk in and find 1 keet standing next to the mom this morning. Guineas are lousy mothers in my experience, so we will see how this works out.

I have had a guinea setting on 2 eggs in a corner of the guinea coop. I left 2 old dirty eggs that I was sure would not hatch. I have been pulling the fresh eggs out everyday. She has been off the nest for half a day at a time. Was I ever shocked to walk in and find 1 keet standing next to the mom this morning. Guineas are lousy mothers in my experience, so we will see how this works out.

You should hear Kris and Robert's story about the pile of Guinea eggs that they almost regret rescuing.
lau.gif

Good luck with the new baby.

Back
Top Bottom