South Carolina

Garden almost ready to plant, just need to put up our hot wire to keep the pesky cows and deer out.
big_smile.png

This spring has really exploded with new birds, for me. I've been stable at around 30-40 for the past few years, but with all these eggs hatching out, I'll have over 70 within the next month
hide.gif

Garden almost ready to plant, just need to put up our hot wire to keep the pesky cows and deer out.
big_smile.png

This spring has really exploded with new birds, for me. I've been stable at around 30-40 for the past few years, but with all these eggs hatching out, I'll have over 70 within the next month
hide.gif

gig.gif
I went from 13 to 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lau.gif
My wife thinks I went nuts!! She might be right.

big_smile.png

hide.gif
How did you train those chickens to do that? Ours just make holes where THEY want. Looks great

and I have about 40 turkeys due to hatch next weekend. I am going to be in deep doo doo. especially if I get to keep them all! and I mean that Litterally!

We HAVE to go to chickenstock!

RobertH

That WAS a great answer. The boys had lost interest in the chickens but this has perked them back up. It is a great lesson for them in hard work, patience and delayed gratification. That plus the smiles are definitely worth every penny. :) Thanks to everyone for celebrating with us. ;)

After EIGHT MONTHS of having chickens and on our second flock we finally got our first egg! Happy day!

PS - RedBugPoultry - It was our Dominique that laid first. I was surprised because she is two weeks younger than the Australorp and was showing fewer signs. The Australorp has full, bright red comb and wattle and has been singing an egg song for several weeks. Hopefully she's not far behind!

Congrats on your 1st egg!! Exactly how many weeks is she? My oldest hen is 30 1/2 weeks old and no eggs. Also I have 2 australorps & 2 production reds that are 25 weeks and no eggs either. :-(

Congrats on your 1st egg!! Exactly how many weeks is she? My oldest hen is 30 1/2 weeks old and no eggs. Also I have 2 australorps & 2 production reds that are 25 weeks and no eggs either. :-(
One of my silkies, 11 months old, just laid her first egg today. Some girls like to take their sweet time.

I am with you on that. I never knew South Carolina had so many people that deal with these animals. It's nice to know that we have a place to meet new people and get advice.

The Dom who layed is 20 weeks but my BA is 22 and no dice yet. I haven't gotten another egg from the Dom either unless she is hiding them in the yard. Ive been looking around and havent seen one.

Awwwwwwwww I love first eggs!!! Congrats!!

Robert we will come by and say hi(or gobble gobble) in 3 weeks at Chickenstock! I bet those baby turkeys will be so precious!

big_smile.png
hide.gif
I crave that humongous garden!! I made two small raised beds....then called my realtor to be on the hunt for a house on a bigger lot!! BTW, did you bring in topsoil? My soil is all clay. I'm new to clay soil!

Back
Top Bottom