South Carolina

2 more 1st gen olive eggers (marans x EE) just hatched under a broody silkie :) now I just have 15 more turkey eggs and a single silkie egg to go before I'm done hatching for a while (I probably just jynxed myself, now I'm gonna find another hidden broody or something tomorrow). this rain is something else! Our pond is fully up to it's 4 acres and then some. The overflow valve is spouting like a waterfall. I also want to let all my broodies with their babies out to forage around, but I don't want any of the babies to get chilled in the wet grass. Needless to say I'm more than ready for it to dry up.

Monsoon Season....lol = I concur I was out until 10:00 pm getting my tomato plants in the ground. I remember thinking ooooh I should water them...then I thought...nah it's gonna rain cats and dogs again tomorrow...ugh no rain today wilted little plants......I have failed as a Gardner..........but wait.....NOW it's sprinkling ... I give up
th.gif
I was running in and out this afternoon. Cut up some boards, rain, screw some boards together, rain, fill a bed, more rain! Been doing this for days and only have 4 beds built and two more to go.
My neighbor knocked on the door...with two tiny chooks that had been thrown out in a cardboard box on a back road :-( soaking wet and starving, dehydrated. What I don't know/see is easy to forget about. But soaking starving chicks....no way. I set them up with heat lamp in a small coup...what do I do now? They ate and drank...one may have a problem, not sure. Can't figure out how to upload pic on my iPad...I'll work on it...
. What kind of sicko puts animals in a box then abandons them? I got my dog (in my avatar) that way, but at least they left her litter in front of a pet boutique, at night, by my house and not a back road. Sad to say I've seen box dumps go horribly wrong in front of Petsmart and a no-kill shelter. Good of your neighbor to take the time to bring the chicks to you and of you to take them in.

Good friends, what do you think RobertH
Lol on of my EE hens, who is very much at the bottom of the totem pole, tries to snuggle like this under the wing of our most dominant hens despite the barrage of pecks she gets. She is extremely persistant, and doesn't move from her warm spot no matter what. Eventually the dominant hen gives up and finally just ignores the unwanted snuggler.

Back
Top Bottom