South Carolina

I have several roos. 3 in the original group, from 2012. Then, my broody OEGB hatched 7 back in April. It looks like I only have 2 pullets out of 7 chicks. Then, a new hatch, July 1, of 6 chicks. Looks so far like only 2 might be pullets. So....some of those extra roos will end up in the freezer after we sort them all out. Gee...that makes 12 roos out of 21 birds so far. >>sigh<<
Way too many roosters for such a small flock.

I've heard of lots of extra roos this year. How old do you raise your freezer camp enrollees before processing? Or is it a weight thing?

I have several roos. 3 in the original group, from 2012. Then, my broody OEGB hatched 7 back in April. It looks like I only have 2 pullets out of 7 chicks. Then, a new hatch, July 1, of 6 chicks. Looks so far like only 2 might be pullets. So....some of those extra roos will end up in the freezer after we sort them all out. Gee...that makes 12 roos out of 21 birds so far. >>sigh<<
Way too many roosters for such a small flock.
What are you going to do with that many roos?

I've heard of lots of extra roos this year. How old do you raise your freezer camp enrollees before processing? Or is it a weight thing?
This is only our second year for processing roos. We have done 3 so far I think. Weight isn't too much of a factor, if the roos are needing culled because of their behavior or just plain being unsatisfactory for keeping in the flock. The ones we have are wearing out the 4 laying hens we do have. The new pullets aren't sexually mature yet.
We are thinking we will decide who to process by November. Keep 3 maybe.

What are you going to do with that many roos?
We send them to freezer camp.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom