South Carolina

With the exception of the pollen
tongue.gif
, the weather's been beautiful, and we finally got the garden tilled yesterday. Today I need to hie myself hence and get some seeds in the ground so they can benefit from the next days' rain.

The potatoes I planted last month are doing well, so that's encouraging!

With the exception of the pollen
tongue.gif
, the weather's been beautiful, and we finally got the garden tilled yesterday. Today I need to hie myself hence and get some seeds in the ground so they can benefit from the next days' rain.

The potatoes I planted last month are doing well, so that's encouraging!

Got my beans and corn in yesterday and hoping for a soaking rain to kick start 'em.... over run with chicks!

Samouw here are the three chicks that hatched for us. They are healthy and as you can see beautiful. DH pulled the remaining eggs and eggtopsied and they apparently died at different times in incubation because their development was at different stages. Some were fully developed but died at hatching because he saw them moving during locked down. That is always a disappointment. We just hope that at least two are pullets.

Missed a bunch of you at the show this weekend! It was glorious weather, excellent birds, lots of great vendors, wonderful buyers (I sold 5 roosters before lunch!) and of course, the best hosts and hostesses ever!

I was more than pleased with the results from the 4 birds I took to this APA, ABA sanctioned show. My white LF Cochin hen took Best of Breed and my bantam Mottled cockerel took Reserve Breed to one of my Mottled hens that took Best of Breed, Champion Feather Leg and Reserve Champion bantam in Show.

There were a lot of gorgeous birds there! It was amazing to see a real show winning buff Orpington take the Best in Show.
Also, the show onSC ETV called Making It Grow was there filming and interviewing a lot of the judges and show winners, plus filming all the different things that were set up at the show. I am not sure when it will be broadcasted but watch for it! I am betting it will be a wonderful program!

Sorry I did not see a lot of you there. It was the most awesome of spring shows!

WestKnollAmy, looks like a good time was had by all!

OK, got sunflowers, onions, green beans, cucumbers, sorghum, carrots, watermelon, lettuce, radishes and gourds planted in the garden. I planted corn in 25 toilet paper tubes to start inside (the squirrels and fireants get it if starts by seed in the ground). And I moved my 16 chicks (10 Buff Orps and 6 Black Australorps) from their little box in the kitchen to the Big Box in the kitchen. They wer having the best time running back and forth and challenging each other. It really was quite cute to watch (I love chickens!).

LOL..... I'm just down the road a ways, about 35-40 miles in the other direction - welcome from Edgefield.....

I'm just down the road in the other direction about 30 minutes in Chapin.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens. Just watch out for the huge problem of chicken math. It will sneak up on you if you don't watch out.

I'm looking for some faverolles. Hatching eggs or chicks. I really want this breed in my backyard. Anyone have some?

I highly recommend visiting the Center for Birds of Prey near Charleston, SC. It sounds a bit strange, owning chickens yet also loving birds of prey, but learning more about the raptors (other than just seeing them as chicken predators) can change your perspective. It's the largest of its kind in the nation, and has an impressive collection of birds of prey from species around the world. They also do flight demonstrations, and it's amazing to see vultures, kestrels, falcons, kites, owls and more in action, working in rhythm with their trainers.
It's neat getting up close and personal with the birds, they're not camera shy so I was able to get some good shots.

Back
Top Bottom