South Carolina

To figure out your animal's genes, there are three methods:

a) Look at the color of your animal. Domiant genes are readily visible.
b) Know the color of the parents.
c) Breed the animal and see what color babies come out.

It is a bit more complicated than that, but that is how you start.

Some genes are dominant. If a duck is black, it has at least one black gene.
Some genes are partially dominant. If a duck has two runner genes, it has the runner white and colored pattern. If it has one runner gene, it has a few white feathers on the wing tips and/or neck. If it has no runner genes it is a solid color (mostly).
Some genes are recessive. You see them only if the animal carries two. If a duck has two white genes, it is white. But it if has one white gene or no white genes, the animal is colored and you can't tell if it carries the white gene or not. Recessive genes can create big surprises when babies come out of their eggs.

I need some good egg layers, preferably between 5-10 months old. I'm in Anderson SC area. I am thinking Rhode Island Red or something similar. Anyone got some? If so message me and send me your price.

Whiting True Blues

Hi folks, I've just placed an order with Murray McMurray for 25 female Whiting True Blues.

This is a breed developed for MMcM that breeds true for consistent blue eggs. You can see the description here:

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/whiting_true_blue.html

They've been really, really hard to get: sold out within minutes of being listed. I ordered 25, because that's the minimum order, to be shipped the week of Feb 12th. All the other hatches through the rest of the spring are sold out.

If you're within driving distance of Wilmington NC and are interested in some of them, mark your calendar. I'll be posting in Buy Sell Trade once they arrive. (I can't take pre-orders per site policy).

Hey ya'll checking in from Fort Mill. My wife and 3 daughters are on four acres near exit 88. We started off with 6, day old RIRs that the Easter Bunny brought in 2016. we lost one to a neighbors dog while they were out free ranging back in October. If any fellow members are near, would enjoy to get together and talk chickens!

Hey ya'll checking in from Fort Mill. My wife and 3 daughters are on four acres near exit 88. We started off with 6, day old RIRs that the Easter Bunny brought in 2016. we lost one to a neighbors dog while they were out free ranging back in October. If any fellow members are near, would enjoy to get together and talk chickens!

Hi, we're across the state in Abbeville but our daughter lives in Lancaster.

Hi all! I have a question for anyone familiar with chicken keeping within Greenville city limits. I've been looking through the zoning laws, and I'm a little unsure if I need to apply for a permit for my coop. It's not very big, much smaller than the garage/sheds my neighbors on either side have. I *think* a coop would be considered an "accessory structure," but the City of Greenville laws do not specifically state if I need to apply for a permit through zoning. Do you all know or have experience with this? Do I need to apply for a permit to keep my coop in the backyard? Thanks!

I built a large structure for my birds - about 10' by 12' and human standing height, dug into the ground, so I did use a permit. It cost me $15. They mainly wanted to make sure I followed the setbacks. If you build a mobile chicken tractor it is not a permanent structure and so you don't need a permit.

I ordered 16 silkie chicks and I'm only wanting to keep two roosters. I have two black, six blues, and a red roster they're 5 months old I ordered them from purely poultry. I need them gone as soon as possible because they're starting to fight and I don't want them to get hurt. I'm in Simpsonville/Greenville, SC also have an Easter Egger Rooster. Hoping to find them all good homes

the rooster in front

Back
Top Bottom