South Carolina

Hey I wanted to say thanks to hillsflock and enola for coming out and supporting us for our grand opening. It was a great time. I got an awesome rooster from enola and some awesome little (hopefully) hens from hillsflock.

Looking forward to the next swap....

Thanks again Country it was good meeting you. I'm not sure about those chicks. Some may turn out to be hens and some roos. We aren't too good at telling them apart that young. The last chicks we pegged as hens turned out to be roosters. Who knows with our luck you got all the hens, and we'll have only kept the roosters.
lol.png

Enola- It was good meeting you, and hopefully we'll see you again sometime.
smile.png

Sorry I am so late chiming in here..... My computer is down at the present time
sad.png

We did have a good time, hillsflock bought my cochins, I am thankful that they are going to a good home. I really wish I had taken a picture of "Fred", he is soooooooo cute !

The little hen I got from Preacher is doing just fine, she is very quiet, but also cute.

I am looking forward to the next "Chicken Swap" in a couple of months.

Pick a date Preacher, because Wal~Mart never lets us cashiers have a weekend day off unless we ask for one.

Thanks again Enola. The cochins are starting to get used to things around here. They are a little shy, and tend to hide out in the corner of the patio outside our basement. I have seen them hanging around our other cochins some though so I guess they are starting to get used to each other. I listed Freddy on Craigslist yesterday. He needs a good home with some OEGB hens.

I have some Bronze Breasted Turkey hens and toms that I did not sell at Thanksgiving. The hens weight about 25 lbs cleaned and the toms about 35 lbs. I really need to move them. If anyone is interested I'll let them go for $25 a piece. I think I let them get to big.

PM me, thanks.

Greetings and good afternoon all
frow.gif

I'm facing a potential field assignment for my job that would require a move to the Charleston area for a couple years. Are there any more rural type areas around there where I can keep my chickens? It's not for sure yet, but I want to be prepared in case things move along swiftly.

Thanks
smile.png

You will be so lucky to move near Charleston! Absolutely gorgeous and fun!

Yes, there are many little towns near there where you can keep chickens. I bought some down on John's Island where she had goats and chickens. But there are many places that will allow them. The best thing to do is ask a Realtor when you know you have to move. They should be able to get you close to your job and find a area close that can allow chickens or small livestock. The commute is not too bad depending on where in Charleston you will have to go. My nephew lived in Summerville but worked in Charleston at one time. It didn't take him long to get to work unless there was an accident on the hwy, of course. But that happens in any town.

Thanks for the info Nadine. I was doing some poking around at ordinances today, I find a few towns that outright say no to chickens, most just say "we don't want to smell them"

Still out on how many roosters I would need to get rid of though. I have close to 10, I would want to whittle that down to 3 or 4. And what I'm going to do with my turkeys and ducks. It's hard to find a landlord who will let you have all those, unless I just bought a cheap place and then sold it when my assignment was over. Now *is* the time to buy, that's for sure. Hard to claim to my company though that I'm maintaining my residence in WA when I buy a house in SC.

I'll just tell them it's my winter home
big_smile.png

I'm hoping I can leave my poultry with my in-laws while I house hunt, yes, they're all the way in Aiken, but its not a big deal to drive that far to get my lovey girls
love.gif

ETA: They hired a realtor to show me around when I moved here, I'm hoping they'll do the same this time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom