South Carolina

Soon you will have to change your sig line, Eric.
pop.gif

I go another week and a half on these eggs in the 1588. However, an egg was hatching under my Silkies the other day and I knew I wanted this chicks so i brought it in and put it in the 1588. A few hours late it emerged and I put it in the aquarium with the other chicks I still need to take down to the barn.
The chicks are getting sick of the nuzzling I do when I change their tank. I can't help it! They are cute!
love.gif

Oh, my, are we going to talk gardens? <sigh> We are still working on finishing our green house. I know we need to get it done but the weather doesn't want to cooperate. So much to do and so little time!

Oh yeah, since I wear the honor so well notice I had my title changed. I suppose it fits now.
D.gif

I saw a egg move
ya.gif

ok my cluk o' bator is made out of a 48qrt plastic cooler and it has a few cracks on the out side shell. My buddy left it with me last years camping trip so its $0. I had a old lamp that was busted but the socket was good $0. I rewired and put the wire through the drain hole. Found a old pc fan but it was 12v so I took my trickle battery charger and walah air flow. Ok for the first few days I used a 60 watt light bulb but that was too hot then a 40watt still too hot and then 25 watt perfect but it would spike so I drilled some air holes and added a small cup of water but the temp was still spikeing so off to lowes and purchsed a hot water thermostat.
thumbsup.gif
Perfect with a little adjusting it was holding between 96.4 and 101.2 with humidity at 55 to 60% oh yeah the thermostat was $9.00 so about a $15.50 bator ($6.50 thermometer) When these eggs hatch im going to tweek the bator out close the heat swing tighter!!!

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with greenchickencoop.com? I am thinking of ordering one and they look beautiful... As I mentioned before I have had a dream of chickens for a long time and have finally moved to a place where I can have one so DH has given me (pretty much) free range on what I can get (and this way I wont make him help me build it
wink.png
) I would appreciate any advice if any one wants to take a look at it. There are so many options!

http://www.greenchickencoop.com/Large_Coop_Designs.html

I am still trying to figure out the details, but I think we will be getting the Elizabeth, with a 6-9 foot run attachment and probably the wheels.

I am not sure if I should get the slatted floor or just linoleum - Do I need to worry about snakes getting in through the slats?

Are more windows better than fewer if I plan to eventually use the coop to max capacity (about 15 birds) ?

If I may eventually have some bantams and growing pullets should I have some smaller nest boxes or are the standard size okay for everyone? If I got some Jersey Giants should I also have bigger ones?

Should I get the bottom predator screen? It would be nice to know that they are pretty safe in there if I am not home, but I want them to be able to scratch and eat through it (hmmm, or maybe they mean the type that would be buried and then it would not be movable...) Will the grass just get matted down under the screen or will they still be able to forage for food?

If I get the wheels do you think I will be able to move the coop and the run from place to place in my back and front yard or is it to big to use as a "chicken tractor"?

Back
Top Bottom