South Carolina

Oh so very pretty! Never heard of them.

The bigger the better! Hens always need more room. And I can assure you that matter how big it is, you will wish it was bigger. There are all sorts of things to think about....broody hen, sick birds, troubled roos etc.

Get the linoleum floor! Slated floor is hard to clean. I have not had trouble with snakes in my coops but they have gotten into my brooder room and eaten chicks before I found them and disposed of the varmints. I like snakes to catch mice, not my chicks.

Lots of windows! They can always be covered but come summer you will fling them all wide and put a fan in a window as well. And still wish you could install AC for them.
lol.png
It is heartbreaking to close them up for the night and see them panting.

Most chickens use the same nest box. If you are going to have only 15 hens then you will only need 3 boxes. And one may even go unused. I have lot of nest boxes but so few are ever used. And again, the bigger the box, the better. So often there will be 2 hens in the next together. Like us ladies have to go to the restroom together.

I don't suggest wire under their pen but a skirt outside on the ground would be a good idea and you could easily lift it to move the pen. I had one that had the 2x4" wire on the bottom and they hated it. And I am nothing if not a good mommy to my chickens. They spoke, I listened and I adjusted it for them. Am I whupped or what?
bow.gif

As far as moving it alone, I could not say. Some are really easy to move even though they are very big and others are smaller and not so easy to move. Many of my tractors do not even have wheels and I still move them by myself.

Anyhow, good choice on coops. I really like the design.
thumbsup.gif

THANK YOU SO MUCH AMY NADINE!
My only questions now are if the 3 perches they include are enough or if I should get another...
Can't wait to come see all your chickens and Ducks, I feel so lucky to be close!

That is a lot harder for me. Without seeing the actual inside I have a hard time telling. Probably do need the extra one or will eventually. I had to add to my free range flock because I only had a ladder style in their coop and it wasn't enough when I had 150 in there. Now that I have less than 50 it seems way too much but they still jockey for the best seats and those extra roosts are often handy with a disgruntled chicken.

Can't wait til you get out here and see everything, Rachel! It's a mess but a fun mess.
wee.gif

Amy...looks like we will be taking a drive up your way sunday afternoon...need directions so I can see your beautiful birds
celebrate.gif

Well, come on Snick!
I'll PM you now with directions and my phone number. Though goodness knows most of the people on this thread could probably tell you how to get to my place.
D.gif

That is the truth!! Amy: my roo, Hannah, is still being obnoxious. Can't decide if it's time to send him to the Big Coop in the Sky. He dragged out my little Gert by her head this morning when I opened the coop. Stupid little s%^t. Whatcha think?

-Jackie

yuckyuck.gif

Hannah was supposed to be a girl! He is just a heathen, changing like that!
gig.gif

Well, you can separate him for a few months until his testosterone level evens out or you can bring him over one day to do the deed. I know we thought about today or tomorrow but DH is back to working 60 hours a week with only one day off. I know I should not complain but I have several roos that really, really need to go to freezer camp, too. And goodness knows i need to move some out of the grow up pen as their hormones are royally pissing off the young ladies with mild temperaments! I am so tired of yelling "Boys!" every few minutes while I am down there. They sometimes listen. Other times they can't seem to help themselves.
barnie.gif

Hahaha, he is probably mad at me, but I didn't name him, a friend's little girl did, who ironically is named Hannah. Who names a chicken after themselves? Oh wait...I did name all of mine after my girlfriends, oops. They all wanted to be aunties b/c we dont' have kids yet, so they all got a chicken!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner...I'll email you Amy.

-Jackie

Back
Top Bottom