South Carolina

Quote:
Awesome!
thumbsup.gif

Looks great! I know the chicks are happy to feel the sun!
Love the way you did the brooder!

Quote:
We........
Fill only one of the chambers.
Let it run on 30-45% the first 18 days.
Add water to other chamber on day 18.
It gets up to 50-60%

That is a big drop in a short time, but it has happened to me also. It seems to do better hatching with a lower starting humidity.

If it is not holding humidity on day 18, we add the plugs. one or two depending on what is needed.

Actually - I use one until I see pips and then add second one. If I think it gets too high during hatching (more than a couple dozen eggs in there and it usually does, then I remove one)

Also with still air, ours are sitting on two small wooden boards so it is not flat on a surface.

Glad it is holding temps! To me, a turner is a pain - it gives off enough heat to affect the temps

It is holding the temps so far but not the humidity. All the plugs are in it, I think it only has one.
I moved the couch from where Leah had it in the den and put my antique dining room table that was in the living room in that spot and set the 'bator on it. I did not think to set it on boards. I wasn't sure what I would get with it.
Humidity is now down to 41%. Do you have to add water every day? That would be a pain with a turner in it. It has one of those odd water containers in the middle. My styrofoam Genesis has water troughs you can add at the edge of the turner. Easier to see.

Quote:
We........
It gets up to 50-60%

That is a big drop in a short time, but it has happened to me also. It seems to do better hatching with a lower starting humidity.

If it is not holding humidity on day 18, we add the plugs. one or two depending on what is needed.

Actually - I use one until I see pips and then add second one. If I think it gets too high during hatching (more than a couple dozen eggs in there and it usually does, then I remove one)

Also with still air, ours are sitting on two small wooden boards so it is not flat on a surface.

Glad it is holding temps! To me, a turner is a pain - it gives off enough heat to affect the temps

It is holding the temps so far but not the humidity. All the plugs are in it, I think it only has one.
I moved the couch from where Leah had it in the den and put my antique dining room table that was in the living room in that spot and set the 'bator on it. I did not think to set it on boards. I wasn't sure what I would get with it.
Humidity is now down to 41%. Do you have to add water every day? That would be a pain with a turner in it. It has one of those odd water containers in the middle. My styrofoam Genesis has water troughs you can add at the edge of the turner. Easier to see.

It really is a pain to add water with a turner.
I only add water when it gets below 25-35% - if it is hot & dry in the house like in winter, I have to almost add water every day - every other day at the least.

If both plugs are not in, it could be losing humidity through the one. I know I lost a plug last year LOL so I steal one from another bator.

I think our styro hovabator has troughs like that.........where u can add on the side. My LG is in the middle.

If I hand turn a lot of eggs (Like now - over 80) I use a long spouted watering can I found at target couple years ago. If you have some airline tubing like for a fish tank, some use that and a syringe to add water when using a turner. Just leave the tubing in all the time, and run it out of one of the holes in top where plugs go.

The boards under my LG are only little strip things........like 1x1 or 1x2....... We do that because of the vents on the bottom of the bator....get better air flow

Last edited:
THanks Amy--for the reply. And did the Polishes hatch?

OK I have a QUESTION!!!! All my hens lay brown eggs well today I had a solid white egg not a lite beige but Pure white??? AnyOne know anything about this and is it a cause for alarm and does it have a name???????? Opps I mean I have Question"s"...thanks!!

Quote:
We........
It gets up to 50-60%

YES - with my still airs I do have to add water every single day. And even then I do good to just hold the humidity at 35%. It's my opinion that maybe the styrofoam starts to break down a bit with age. Mine are several years old and my hatches were really good when I first bought them but this year has been difficult. I do love my egg turners though.

Quote:
I think one of the dogs laid it!
lau.gif
gig.gif
Or maybe the cat. Anything for attention!
roll.png

Someone's color jets just didn't work when she was laying. They should be fine. No cause for alarm.

Back
Top Bottom